Power Steering issue.... >

Power Steering issue....

Notices

Power Steering issue....

Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering issue....

I have a 89' Checkmate 251 Convincor. I have dual ram IMCO steering. It is not full hydrolic. It is the half system. I can hardly get the steering wheel to turn.At one point I could not turn it at all. I dont want to crank too hard on it. Dont want to screw up the helm. This is with the motor running. Power steering fluid is full. With the motor shut off i can grab the drive and the pass side ram will push in a little bit (like 3/4'') but the drivers side will not.

Is there anyone with some experience with this system that can give me a few troubleshooting pointers? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you shore the hoses are rigth ?when one pull the other bushes. so one back line and the front line are together. you may have the hose wrongI have dual ram IMCO steering. It is full hydrolic.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

look behind the helm and see if there is a filter screwed into the box before one of the hydraulic hoses. if so tyhe filter is probably plugged and your p/s pump with ruin next
Old 04-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

I will check on the lines and filter this morn. Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered

Did you just install this system, or has it worked fine in the past and this is a new problem. Your steering ram movement means there is air in the system, the ram should not compress at all.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys. I figured out the problem. The steering cable was starting to get tight in the tube down by the transom. I basicaly started pulling things apart until i could see what was binding. Cleaned everything and greased it all up. Tested it and steers like a dream. I recently bought this boat and the steering was very tight. I didnt get to do the preventative maint on it so.. I wasnt sure what it could be at first so i figured i better get some input comeing in. Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats great . i went full on mine i took that cable out