Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502mpi loss of power and surging... >

502mpi loss of power and surging...

Notices

502mpi loss of power and surging...

Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 502mpi loss of power and surging...

hey everyone,
I haven't been able to use my boat a whole lot this year, and it was running great until my last run. I put it in the water and it started up fine, then I have to pretty much idle out of the river for about 5 minutes before I can get up on plane. So when I did it came out of the water ok, but not great, then it sounded like it was breaking down a bit.I could noticed a loss of a couple hundred RPM every so often and I could feel it. On my last couple runs out ran the boat down to about 1/4 tank, then put about 35 gallons of ultra 93 in it for this last run. Usually I can run about 4900 rpm at 62/63 without a problem, this time im lucky I could pull about 4100 or 4200 rpms. I got back to the shop and check to make sure there were no plug wires loose, checked the oil, but I haven't pulled plugs yet. Its weird that it ran great the last time out, now its running like crap. I haven't put any fuel addative in it, so i'm not sure if that will help.
Any thoughts? what should I check, I don't want to fork over the money to bring to a tech if I don't have to.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Do a compression test when you install new plugs & wires. Sounds like what happened to me but only I could smell raw fuel. I blew both head gaskets due to plugged injectors last season.
Its a long shot on this one but also replace fuel water seperator filter since there cheap. Might have water in the fuel
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Try a new rotor and cap. Thats cheap