Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Wasted Bravo 1 swivel shaft/steering pin? >

Wasted Bravo 1 swivel shaft/steering pin?

Notices

Wasted Bravo 1 swivel shaft/steering pin?

Old 05-17-2015, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wasted Bravo 1 swivel shaft/steering pin?

So I went to take my newish-to-me 31' Scarab Excel out today, and it turns out one of the steering pin/swivel shafts is wasted. You can grab the outdrive and move it up and down like an inch, and the drives can be rocked back and forth a LOT easily by hand. I've noticed the steering was pretty lose the couple times I've had it out, very unresponsive, and got pretty squirelly when you come off full throttle. I obviously an going to replace this swivel pin immediately (probably both), but my question is, what is the correct way to do this? Every thing I look up is showing a kit to replace it that basically cuts a hole in the top of your transom assembly to access the bolt. Are these kits the way to go or is there a "correct" way to replace the part. Also what all parts do I need to buy to replace this pin? (Seals, gaskets, 5200, ect?) All the bellows look bran new already. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2015, 01:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The correct way is to remove the engines and do the repair from inside.

I had the same problem on my boat, did I do it the "correct way" absolutely no!
The repair kit from jrmarine was what i used, it just work and in my case was a repair method that was an extremely good alternative to pulling the engines.

I would recommend that you replace all the wear parts you get access to, then you will have restored the steering to "zero" hours, and no need to open it up again for a long time.
As for the specific parts, look up a parts diagram and order everything, bushings, pins, steering arm, U-clamp, washers and so on.

I you have any other reason for pulling the engines, then its a different thing.
The following users liked this post:
RedBoatFl (11-27-2022)
Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I was wanting to know. I'll probably do the repair kit then, there is no way I have time to pull the engines and do it that way. I'll pull the motors this winter when I do some other modifications but this steering issue seems like something I should probably fix now. Thanks for the input!!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If there is that much play the gimbal ring is probably shot also. The square swivel pin wears into the gimbal ring and even with a new pin there will be slop in the steering. It also sounds like you have more wrong than just the swivel pin. Up and down play is usually loose pins on the side of the helmet. I would suggest that you take the boat to a marine mechanic and at least have them recommend what needs to be done.