Gas Tank Vent Question... >

Gas Tank Vent Question...

Notices

Gas Tank Vent Question...

Old 04-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Tank Vent Question...

When filling the tank, I get an excessive amount of gas coming out of the vent on the side of the boat. (Sometimes it actually shoots out in a stream though the tank is nowhere near full.)

It would require MAJOR work to get to the tank at the point the vent tube connects, therefore, I can't take it apart and diagnose/fix the problem.

Can anyone tell me the cause of my problem, the solution to my problem, or (preferably) both???
Old 04-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its anything like mine, the vent is at the same end as the fill, the aft end!! So as soon as the gas fills up to the low end of the tank, it cant vent and blows gas all over. The only easy solution I know is to fill it real slowly. PITA.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Probably just air pockets in the tank and the gas you're pumping in going in faster than the air can escape.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:45 AM
Registered

Originally posted by formula31
If its anything like mine, the vent is at the same end as the fill, the aft end!! So as soon as the gas fills up to the low end of the tank, it cant vent and blows gas all over. The only easy solution I know is to fill it real slowly. PITA.
Interesting theory, but possible. It does it on the water or the trailer. Boat sits low in the water and truck is tall. I think an experiment is in order.

ATTN OSO MEMBERS: If you see me at the gas station, DO NOT get in line behind me. I am going to unhook, lower the trailer ALL the way down, and then try to fill the 150 gallon tank. If you see me cursing and screaming while filling, DO NOT APPROACH.

Any other hypotheses are welcome.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the angle of the vent line. If any portions are near horizontal it will tend to puke. A small amount of fuel gets into the vent and if it cannot drain it will shoot out with the escaping air.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Registered

I had the same problem and got the insta fix from someone on this board.
If your vent line is below the fill line, it will fill so slowly that its easier to just sell the boat. I moved the vent tube so that it was above the fill line and now it fills as fast as you can pump.
I had wire ties holding the vent and fill lines together and only had to roll the vent line on top of the fill hose. It was the easiest fix I ever had on the boat. Good luck and let us know if this fixes your problem.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally posted by shawn
I had the same problem and got the insta fix from someone on this board.
If your vent line is below the fill line, it will fill so slowly that its easier to just sell the boat. I moved the vent tube so that it was above the fill line and now it fills as fast as you can pump.
I had wire ties holding the vent and fill lines together and only had to roll the vent line on top of the fill hose. It was the easiest fix I ever had on the boat. Good luck and let us know if this fixes your problem.
I am not sure I understand -- Did you move the actual vent (where the fuel shoots from), or simply move the line around from where it was to the inboard side of the fill tube???

(Or am I missing the boat all together???) (No pun intended.)
Old 04-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Registered

Leave the vent alone, just make sure the hose that connects the outside chrome vent fitting to the fuel tank is on TOP of the hose that fills the tank. If the vent hose lays below the fill hose, it will fill with fuel and either block the flow of escaping air or blow fuel out of the vent. It must be above the fill hose.

?????????s
Old 04-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kamma my old scarab did the same thing .the fill and vent hose did not have kinks ,just filled slow and listened for it to gurgle when it got close to full. had to watch it ,it would spit on ya.If the tank is like mine was the fill is in the front top of the tank .if the boat leans forward it might be covering the fill inlet making it spill out the vent . I tried taken out the tank ,it was not coming out .we were lifting the hole boat by the tank and could not break it loose. they shoot that expanding foam under the tank like glue. I ended up drilling a hole and made a plate for the 1/2 fuel line pick ups amd return lines for the blower motor . the stock line inside the tank was 3/8.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.