Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Front pulley oil seal on B&M 250??? >

Front pulley oil seal on B&M 250???

Notices

Front pulley oil seal on B&M 250???

Old 07-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front pulley oil seal on B&M 250???

Anyone ever change the front pulley seal on a B&M 250? Anything to watch out for? What is the basic procedure and are any special tools required? I had a small leak at the front seal and called to have the seals sent. I have two seals in the box of different type. I thought I asked for two seals but I was calling from the lake. Does a reseal of the front require two seal or is one the front and one the back? Any info is appreciated.

Tim T.

Last edited by BadDog; 07-09-2003 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim, you didn't replace the solid fill plug on the top with a vented one did you?
Old 07-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Registered

Nope, left it as was. No big deal. Checked around and it seems they sometimes just go. Imagine that, a boat part failing! I put an XR on there just for peace of mind. I figured it was better to change it before the B1 scrapped so it still has some value. I also have a warranty take off XR lower I need to sell.

Good week at the Cumberland all and all. Kids put about 120 miles on their boat and we covered a little over 250. We have thought about coming up to Monroe. Probably just Cindy and I and we would stay on the boat. We will give you a holler when we get some weekends freed up.

Tim T.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed one last summer on my 250. I can't remember anything special about it - no special tools. I changed the bearing at the same time. I had oil leaking like you and thought it was the seals, but it was actually a ridge worn in the aluminum pulley where it meets the seal.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Registered

Well I got the pulley off after making a puller for it. That sucker was on there good. I am replacing the O-ring as well. The dang seal I took out of the box was bent. Now I have to take a trip to town to match it up. I found an oil filter wrench with a loop of 1/4 hight density foam worked well for holding the pulley to remove the bolt. This is now the longest time the boat has been officially down for unscheduled maintenance in the last 10 years. Four days and counting.