Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Not the wate pump afterall >

Not the wate pump afterall

Notices

Not the wate pump afterall

Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the wate pump afterall

See "what happened to this motor" for the background on my troubles. When I pulled the motor I just assumed ( we all know what ASS U ME D means ) that the that the seawater pump fried and caused the problem because I couldn't turn the pully. Well turns out I am an idiot and was trying to turn it backwards. I took it off to replace it with a KPM pump and it looks brand new. So now it wasn't the water pump, I took appart the oil pump and it looks fine. What else would make it heat up and eat 3 of the main bearings. The get worse as you go forward in the motor. Oil pump driveshaft was fine. Oil level was fine. Could it just have been that motor's time to give up? I would feel better if I could say "that is the cause" rather than just living with the blown motor.

The KPM pumps won't fit so I am going to leave the stock units on there. Anything I can do to add some insurance to this stock unit? Again it looks new so I am sure that wasn't my problem. Just looking to make sure it doesn't become my problem.