Light Off Shore 1 motor or 2? >

Light Off Shore 1 motor or 2?

Notices

Light Off Shore 1 motor or 2?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
Hey guys... Considered going to twins earlier this year until I topped off tank at 50 gal and decided... Well may be I should stay with a single...

So the question... Mpg.. I burned around 40 gal for the tckfaw 200 with my 25ol w 454 mag. Around 50 mile ttl run that we ran pretty hard on first part of trip... Would I expect to burn double with twins... Say.. 29 ol with mags??Jason? Or even a 30 ???
Well that is relative. No you would not burn twice the fuel. If you were to run the same speed as you did with your single you would burn a bit more, but not a huge amount. You have to remember that you will be in a larger boat as well.

The nice part with a twin is you are going to be able to run the same speed as a single, be able to handel larger seas with more comfort. Going from a single 26' to a 30' twin is night and day difference.

My large run of the year is the St.Clair run. We probably run 120+ miles that weekend. I am no speed monster, but I do short blasts here and there. I burn about 90 to 100 gallons with twin 454 mags.

My local boating having gone from a single to a twin, I can't say I really burn any more fuel. I am driving out to the lake go for a short ride and sit on the hook for most of the day. I am far more comfortable when doing it, and I can go out now at times I would have stayed home in the single.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

I have to agree. Fuel and maintenance costs alone..... I would have to say, are close to double. Keep in mind, the boat you're considering twins in weighs probably another 1500 lbs from size, and 1000-1200 pounds for another drive and engine. That bulk is gonna suck some gas, no way around it. And every maintenance item will be double, and substantial. When it comes time to repower......

I love twins, but I think people who say that "it hardly burns more fuel"..... are kind of like people who say "I like taking the bus....". You don't have a choice, and gotta justify it.

The redundancy is nice if you need it, there's no doubt. Of course strapping an outboard into your engine bay of a single would give you redundancy too, but most of us don't. Good maintenance and a compliment of tools on board, should make for reliable returns.

The majority of people I know who own twins, seem to go full bore for 10 minutes or so to thrill their guests, and spend the rest of the time floating or heading back to dock ..... because that meter's always runnin'.

If cost is no object, go for it. If economy matters to you at all, and it probably does if you're looking at used boats, you can't go wrong with a strong single either. I know some will disagree....

Originally Posted by pacalim1965@yaho
I moved from ohio to florida 10 years ago. I ran a 29' twinn 454 Power Quest on lake erie, when i moved here to florida i purchased a twinn thinking that the gulf was rougher and more vast boating area. I quickly learned diffrently. I have had single 27-29 Bajas and fountains ever since. Many of my friends have twinns, and i out run them and the diffrence in fuel , weight and maintance is a huge bonus to me. I needed a tow one time in 10 years 'called sea tow' and i boat the entire west coast of florida. Over memorial day weekend we went from tarpon springs to naples. I think lugging an extra motor and drive around is a waste of money. the big lakes up north are way rougher than the gulf.

Last edited by puzzleboy; 06-12-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess my main motivation is ride comfort when we have the kiddie! Well the adults too as lake pntchatrain likes to get 3-4 quick. The 25 will make it but you have to slow it down an plow and getting on top is white knuckle time!

We can handle 2's ok, but the kids don't like the rough at all! (2 and 5 ur olds)

Would upgrading smooth it out enough to justify??

Last edited by nailit; 06-12-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Registered

The only way i could justify going back to twin engines is stepping up to a .38 Special with 500 efi's. On the fuel issue, If both motors are spinning 4500-5000 rpm's they are consuming fuel period no sugar coating it....
Old 06-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For me it would, but everyone has a different opinion.

I went to twins for the exact same reason (comfortable ride and overnighting with small kids). We went from a white knuckle ride to where the kids could sleep through a 3' slop.

Again, my opinion, the ONLY thing I do not like about having a large twin engine boat is when it's on land. My boat can be a handful to drag around and maneuver in tight spots.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again as most has said. Size matters. The space in a 29-30 compared to a 25-26 is just in another class. To me, the only logical reason for not choosing the 29-30, would be a question about the size on land and money. The comfort in the bigger boats cocpit and cabin not to mention the ride is just on another level. That is what makes you enjoy what you have. In most cases, folks step up from a 24'-26' to a 30'+, not the other way around. Speed is often one reason, but there is more to it than that, and there is a reason for why so many do it.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 06-13-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Again as most has said. Size matters. The space in a 29-30 compared to a 25-26 is just in another class. To me, the only logical reason for not choosing the 29-30, would be a question about the size on land and money. The comfort in the bigger boats cocpit and cabin not to mention the ride is just on another level. That is what makes you enjoy what you have. In most cases, folks step up from a 24'-26' to a 30'+, not the other way around. Speed is often one reason, but there is more to it than that, and there is a reason for why so many do it.
+1, I have ridden in all sizes of boats and countless Bajas from 18 foot to 38 feet and there is a huge difference. Yes my fuel burn is more than my friends 272 and my mtc costs are double for sure, but the ride is not even comparable. I have never owned a single engine boat and wouldn't ever consider it. In fact I think I'm gonna go bigger soon!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Registered

And when they say double for maint. Your looking at fluids, oil filter, water seperator, and impellers. That's maybe $100-150 if you do it yourself. I know some guys change plugs and everything every year. I do it when needed.

Fuel burn is again all in how you drive it. No different than a car if you are in the throttles all the time you are going to burn fuel, no doubt about it. The thing is with a single to get 55 you are standing on it the whole time. With a twin you are closer to a cruise and not in the carb the whole time.

I can honestly say that my fuel usage went up about 50 gallons going from my single to my twins. For that extra $300 - 400 a year cost (gas and maint), I get a larger more comfortable boat, better ride and the peace of mind knowing if I have a problem with a motor I have a spare to get me home.

Last edited by Nightlife1970; 06-13-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nailit
We can handle 2's ok, but the kids don't like the rough at all! (2 and 5 ur olds)

Would upgrading smooth it out enough to justify??
There is no comparison in ride. A 25OL is a nice ride, a 29OL or even my old 280 is night and day. I went from a 260 to my 280. Running in 3' was torture with the 260. 3' in the 280 is fun water.

My kids were younger as well when I got the 280, 10 and six. They were scared to go out when it was more than 2'. The first time we went out in the 280 they knew going out the channel that we were going out in big water. I boat out of St.Joe Michigan alot. If the lake is tossing 3' you have 4-5 rollers going down the channel.

We got out on the lake and my daughter says don't go fast daddy. It take off and get on top of the waves and at first she was wide eyed and scared to death. Pretty quickly I see that fear change to a big smile, and she says can we go faster...
Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered

There are all kinds of opinions, sounds like you are more interested in a nice comfortable ride with affordability and dependability also. I happen to have a nice 29' Fountain Fever with a strong 540 700 hp with only 50 hours on it. That way you get the length and the stepped hull for rough water and efficiency. Its in the oso classifieds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.