Light Off Shore 1 motor or 2? >

Light Off Shore 1 motor or 2?

Notices

Light Off Shore 1 motor or 2?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Off Shore 1 motor or 2?

Looking for a little expert help. We are lake dwellers that moved to the Destin, Florida area and obviously the Gulf/Inter-coastal. We are upgrading to a Baja and my budget allows for either a couple year old single 25/26 Outlaw or a few year older twin 29/30.

I dont think I will be jetting across the gulf to Texas or running it from here to the Bahamas so Is a twin motor a necessity?

Im thinking if I break down I could always call Sea Tow so a second motor isnt needed?

Is the extra fuel cost worth the extra power?

Is there a big difference in the two boats with only adding a few feet?

Did the technology change enough to warrant purchasing an 07 up 25 over a 2003-2007 30?

Thanks for the help! See you on the water
Old 06-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

Personally going from a 25/26OL to a 29/30OL is a totally different boat. Having gone from a single to a twin on lake Michigan, I would never have a single again.

Better ride on a twin, a bit more speed depending on the power, having a spare motor if something happens, are great. The fuel usage is not that much more having twins. You don't have to push them as hard to go faster.

I would go for the twin if money was the same any day. A clean boat of only a few years difference in age not gonna be big technology difference.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3 is 2, 2 is one and one is none when it comes to ocean boating. What's your budget?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

x2

3 is great, 2 is good, 1 better have a strong backup plan. And we boat offshore often! 3 is like a security blanket now
Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MoaKane
Looking for a little expert help. We are lake dwellers that moved to the Destin, Florida area and obviously the Gulf/Inter-coastal. We are upgrading to a Baja and my budget allows for either a couple year old single 25/26 Outlaw or a few year older twin 29/30.

I dont think I will be jetting across the gulf to Texas or running it from here to the Bahamas so Is a twin motor a necessity?
Yes

Im thinking if I break down I could always call Sea Tow so a second motor isnt needed?
Are you prepared to wait for hours? What if someone on your boat is injured? One will still get you home or closer to help than none.

Is the extra fuel cost worth the extra power?
The extra fuel is minimal. I can use less than 100 gallons on a weekend

Is there a big difference in the two boats with only adding a few feet?
Huge difference. It's not only length, it's weight.

Did the technology change enough to warrant purchasing an 07 up 25 over a 2003-2007 30?
Nope

Thanks for the help! See you on the water
Answered line by line in red above.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
Answered line by line in red above.
Well said
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered

I moved from ohio to florida 10 years ago. I ran a 29' twinn 454 Power Quest on lake erie, when i moved here to florida i purchased a twinn thinking that the gulf was rougher and more vast boating area. I quickly learned diffrently. I have had single 27-29 Bajas and fountains ever since. Many of my friends have twinns, and i out run them and the diffrence in fuel , weight and maintance is a huge bonus to me. I needed a tow one time in 10 years 'called sea tow' and i boat the entire west coast of florida. Over memorial day weekend we went from tarpon springs to naples. I think lugging an extra motor and drive around is a waste of money. the big lakes up north are way rougher than the gulf.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

3 boats ago I went to twins. In that 8 years, I've never once wished I had a single engine boat back. Jason's post was right on.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies! Definitely gives me some things to think about.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey guys... Considered going to twins earlier this year until I topped off tank at 50 gal and decided... Well may be I should stay with a single...

So the question... Mpg.. I burned around 40 gal for the tckfaw 200 with my 25ol w 454 mag. Around 50 mile ttl run that we ran pretty hard on first part of trip... Would I expect to burn double with twins... Say.. 29 ol with mags??Jason? Or even a 30 ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.