Need advice......Bummed >

Need advice......Bummed

Notices

Need advice......Bummed

Old 06-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
OK, so we have about 10 people here post that they thought it was a bad idea. One person tells you no problem. I personally dont give a sh-t what you do. You are going to do what you want to do anyway. You purchace a boat without knowing anything about boating then plop down $3500 for a slip with no cover or lift. You do not own a trailor and most likley not a truck to pull it with. I just don't get it, good luck and enjoy your boat, maybe put some bottom paint on it, thats what all the sail boats do.
Nice comments. I never said I don't know anything about boating. I do own a new F-150 and I can easily buy a trailer if I want to. I do own a cover and it is covered now. I was getting some suggestions from everyone here and I will base my decisions on everyones suggestions. One thing that YOU don't see is all the private messages I receive about some of the freaks on here. I joined this forum to help and be helped just like everyone else. Its people like you and the wise ass comments you make that really tell me your useless. So if you don't have anything productive to say, get off my forum.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chrsbaja
I realize everyone says to pull the boat etc, but talking to another boater tonight that has a formula 40ss, he has had his boat in the water for 3 years now, no bottom paint and he takes it out and has it power washed every three to four weeks and looking at it, it looks amazing.
First, congratulations on your new boat and best of luck with her.

The definition of "amazing" is all in the eyes of the beholder. The common thread of answers to your question is get the boat out of the water and do not what so ever bottom paint it.

It seems you are in a bad predicament with no cheap solution while grasping at any answer or suggestion that meets the criteria you are looking or hoping for.

People laugh at my wife and I when we tell them the two worst things in the world for a boat is sun and water. They think we are nuts... but then again most boats don't look like ours either (if I don't say so myself ). Best of luck and no sense beating a dead horse... you have a lot of great feedback and suggestions in your thread, but ultimately it is only up to you.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice comments. I never said I don't know anything about boating. I do own a new F-150 and I can easily buy a trailer if I want to. I do own a cover and it is covered now. I was getting some suggestions from everyone here and I will base my decisions on everyones suggestions. One thing that YOU don't see is all the private messages I receive about some of the freaks on here. I joined this forum to help and be helped just like everyone else. Its people like you and the wise ass comments you make that really tell me your useless. So if you don't have anything productive to say, get off my forum.
Ok, when I say cover, I mean a cover LIKE A ROOF over the dock. I normally give very good advice, you however do not understand how stern drive boats operate or you would not be leaving it in salt water. If you have a truck then get a trailor and pull it out of the water. Only use your slip on the weekends you will be using the boat. Clean it up and flush it out after every use and dry store it.
Good luck with your boating experience, just trying to help you out with good advice, you just don't seem to want to listen to what everyone is telling you.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
First, congratulations on your new boat and best of luck with her.

The definition of "amazing" is all in the eyes of the beholder. The common thread of answers to your question is get the boat out of the water and do not what so ever bottom paint it.

It seems you are in a bad predicament with no cheap solution while grasping at any answer or suggestion that meets the criteria you are looking or hoping for.

People laugh at my wife and I when we tell them the two worst things in the world for a boat is sun and water. They think we are nuts... but then again most boats don't look like ours either (if I don't say so myself ). Best of luck and no sense beating a dead horse... you have a lot of great feedback and suggestions in your thread, but ultimately it is only up to you.
Good advice Rick, you know how mine looks also. Only difference is mine is a 94 and still looks like new.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

I think your best bet is to survive this year and pick up a trailer for next season.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I checked the boat tonight and it doesnt even have a scum line on the hull. I realize everyone says to pull the boat etc, but talking to another boater tonight that has a formula 40ss, he has had his boat in the water for 3 years now, no bottom paint and he takes it out and has it power washed every three to four weeks and looking at it, it looks amazing. The boat is a 2003. Regarding flushing the boat while in salt water, if i have the valve closed and the drive is not picking up water and fresh water is going through the hose, it works. May not be 100%, but it is damn close.
I would love to just say screw it and pull the boat, but regular pulls, scrubbing and flushing, I don't think I am going to lose 50% of its value. I live about 20 minutes away from the marina, if I go by every day or two and hose it down, crub the sides and pull it every few weeks, I think I will be fine. I also spray the whole engine with WD-40.
If I decide to sell the boat at the end of the summer and lose 20% of its value, I will be happy. The engine has a total of 86 hours on the engine (496), (not a scratch on the boat) and even if I put another 30 or 40 hours this summer, I think buying the boat for less than 27K from someone that was going bankrupt and needed to sell the boat quickly, I still made out pretty well.
Being a fresh water guy myself, I've always heard about the horror stories in salt water. No question, there's a little more TLC and general cleaning involved. It's also great if you have closed cooling. But the truth is, it isn't that bad, especially if you run the boat a lot.

Like you said, there are literally tens of thousand of boats in the salt water all the time. If you can keep it washed down and flushed, great. I'd prefer outboards myself in salt, mainly because you can pull the drives out of the water. You'll go through anodes quicker, and manifolds as well. Having to trailer a boat all the time never interested me, at all. It has both advantages and disadvantages.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered

Default There is another way to look at this

Enjoy the boat do not worry about resale, if you have the time to haul it thats great, if you have the money to have someone do it for you even better. It is a boat and it is made for fun, I personally found trailing a waste of time and even though it was put in and out for me I still found it to be a hassle. A lift is great and the easiest way but the marina does not allow for that so it is out. If you ever acid washed a bottom of a boat yourself once you will not want to do it again. Stick out the season and next year find a marina with rack storage or one that allows a lift. My 2 cents
Old 06-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the advice folks, appreciate it.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Stick it out and report back. The best way to dispel rumors is to prove them wrong. I think way too many people pay more attention to a shiny deck than a good boating time. They also forget, a shiny deck is one where you are most likely to fall on your a$$.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered

Thanks Steve, I will report back and give updates as they happen.
All the best,
C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.