Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Need advice......Bummed >

Need advice......Bummed

Notices

Need advice......Bummed

Old 06-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do ypou have a tow vehicle? If so would buy a trailer save the 100 a pull out plus the winter storage.Drop in on Friday night and pull out on Sunday and you will be fine.Thats if you have room at your house for it,if not boating gets very expensive.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pacalim1965@yaho
Keep the boat in the slip for the summer. no reason to loose 3500. when the hull shows growth or needs cleaned, hop in the boat and take it into the shallows and clean the bottom with a brush , then take back to marina. avoids the 400 for lift service. then after summer store it inside or buy trailer.
Thats some bad advice. Unless you don't care about your boat....

Last edited by jeffswav; 06-03-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chrsbaja
Cant Sublease space. Just talked with the marina and they are going to charge me 100.00 each time to pull the boat and power wash it and then put it back in. I think I may do this on a weekly basis. If they pulled it and stored it on blocks or a rack, it is 400.00.
Pacalim1965- I wish I could do that. Expensive here. 132.00 a foot to keep the boat in a slip.
The only thing that concerns me now is the blistering. What do you think? another 4 months in the water and taking it out weekly for a power wash, still get blistering?
Sounds like you are in a high rent district. Eat the $3500 because the value of your boat will drop in half after 4 months of salt water. Do what you want but dry storage or a lift with covered dock is the only way to go.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I'm not sure how effective flushing it is when the boat is still sitting in the water. Even with a hose on it, seems like your lower unit is still picking up salt water. What does everyone else think?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered

"Your boat value will drop 50% after 4 months in salt water" That is the most rediculous comment that i have ever heard.....................Its not hydrochloric acid.. You must be a northerner to say something like that.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered

I checked the boat tonight and it doesnt even have a scum line on the hull. I realize everyone says to pull the boat etc, but talking to another boater tonight that has a formula 40ss, he has had his boat in the water for 3 years now, no bottom paint and he takes it out and has it power washed every three to four weeks and looking at it, it looks amazing. The boat is a 2003. Regarding flushing the boat while in salt water, if i have the valve closed and the drive is not picking up water and fresh water is going through the hose, it works. May not be 100%, but it is damn close.
I would love to just say screw it and pull the boat, but regular pulls, scrubbing and flushing, I don't think I am going to lose 50% of its value. I live about 20 minutes away from the marina, if I go by every day or two and hose it down, crub the sides and pull it every few weeks, I think I will be fine. I also spray the whole engine with WD-40.
If I decide to sell the boat at the end of the summer and lose 20% of its value, I will be happy. The engine has a total of 86 hours on the engine (496), (not a scratch on the boat) and even if I put another 30 or 40 hours this summer, I think buying the boat for less than 27K from someone that was going bankrupt and needed to sell the boat quickly, I still made out pretty well.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

Get one of these. There are several around here and they work great. It is what I would do..
I'm sure the marina would allow one. I'd just tell them to piss off anyway after spending $3500.00 for a slip.

Please don't just leave it in the salt...
http://www.airdock.com

Last edited by Twin-Kyle; 06-03-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Do ypou have a tow vehicle? If so would buy a trailer save the 100 a pull out plus the winter storage.Drop in on Friday night and pull out on Sunday and you will be fine.Thats if you have room at your house for it,if not boating gets very expensive.
+1

mb.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Registered

OK, so we have about 10 people here post that they thought it was a bad idea. One person tells you no problem. I personally dont give a sh-t what you do. You are going to do what you want to do anyway. You purchace a boat without knowing anything about boating then plop down $3500 for a slip with no cover or lift. You do not own a trailor and most likley not a truck to pull it with. I just don't get it, good luck and enjoy your boat, maybe put some bottom paint on it, thats what all the sail boats do.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Registered

Default I went through this

I have 3 kids and with the marina lifting the boat in and out and constantly covering and waxing the boat got old for me. After 2 years I sold off the two speed boats I owned bought a Cobalt 282 bowrider and slapped on the bottom paint, we now go down to the marina and jump in and go! I will get back to performance boats when the kids get older and can help if they enjoy race boats or when I get a second house on the water with a lift in the yard. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.