Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Upgrade Drives, Engines, Or New Boat!!! >

Upgrade Drives, Engines, Or New Boat!!!

Notices

Upgrade Drives, Engines, Or New Boat!!!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Upgrade Drives, Engines, Or New Boat!!!

Love my 33 Outlaw but can't stop dreaming of upgrades to it or upgrading boats. Its like this sickness I have caught from OSO

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...utlaw-fun.html

Leave alone, rebuild SC's every season, freshen engines (at how many hours?) to current specs.

Upgrade drives and when time to freshen engines increase power?

Arneson Herring Surface props
Imco SCX WCM 2" shorty's Herring 5 or 6 blade Bravo semi-Surfacing props
Imco SCX-4 Herring Surface props
X-Power Herring Surface props
IMCO SCX 2" spacer to equal current setup bravo prop

Once drives are upgraded
When its time to freshen engines build to 540cu/in and increase power to 950+?

Sell within a year and save for a couple years for a different boat? New boat would have to be Longer then 35', Newer then 2001, faster then 100mph, stronger drives then Imco SC's, Better paint, EFI, Cat or V, Cabin does not matter cruiser has one, Large cockpit is a current plus but not required, Sit down boat is an option, Very clean, freshwater.

Help me spend my sugarmama's money! (I wish, but if Kristy was loaded would buy a BIG & Fast Skater or MTI!) Thanks in advance for your great ideas
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am always a fan of buying a different boat vs a redo. Pretty easy for me
Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you plan to keep that boat forever, don't upgrade it by adding parts. Upgrade it by buying a new one.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thats why I sold the 36,,,,,wanted more speed,,,,,,I dont want to be buried in a boat I knew I wouldnt be keeping forever
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

I hate to say it but i have been in a few sit down boats this last year and hmmmm. Pretty nice.

Have not been in real rough water but it is kind of growing on me fast.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I normally agree on upgrading boats but I don't know if I can afford a boat that meets all my criteria and outdoes the current one.

Easy to say but hard to find! Show me some options, then comment on how spending that kind of coin will make boating more fun then my current boat.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion

Easy to say but hard to find! Show me some options, then comment on how spending that kind of coin will make boating more fun then my current boat.

Thanks!
This last comment is the tough one. I can make the arguement that a 21ft sea ray can be just as fun
Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered

Personally I would stick some drives on the boat that would last if I planned on having it for a fairly long time.. I heard that Mr. Gadgets on here can do some amazing things to Bravo's that really helps with the durability of them, I'm sure he can do the same with Imco's.. As far as rebuilding the engines.. I would think if your not beating the sh!t out of them you could go 500 plus before freshening them up..

I'm like everyone else here you can't beat our 33 Baja's for the room in the cockpit, yes there are more lavish cabins out there but who really goes to the raft off and sits in the cabin to watch tv or cook lunch!!! Your only option would be the 36 or 40 and your not gonna achieve the speeds you want unless you really jack up the power!! Hell look at what Doc Holiday did with his boat he spent a fortune to break 100 and with 850's in his 36 I think he only got to 96!!! Sooo if money isn't any object absolutely get the bigger boat, if it is stick with what you got make it reliable and enjoy it for many years to come!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

You and me are in the same situation.

Not alot of buyers for Baja's with upgraded power.

Most want 502s or HO's.....nothing that you have to fiddle
with.

The right person has to come along to buy these boats.

I like my boat for the most part....just not down at LOTO,
but thats only a couple times a year.

I'll probably keep throwing enough $$$ at it to keep it going for a couple more years.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Love my 33 Outlaw but can't stop dreaming of upgrades to it or upgrading boats. Its like this sickness I have caught from OSO

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...utlaw-fun.html

Leave alone, rebuild SC's every season, freshen engines (at how many hours?) to current specs.

Upgrade drives and when time to freshen engines increase power?

Arneson Herring Surface props
Imco SCX WCM 2" shorty's Herring 5 or 6 blade Bravo semi-Surfacing props
Imco SCX-4 Herring Surface props
X-Power Herring Surface props
IMCO SCX 2" spacer to equal current setup bravo prop

Once drives are upgraded
When its time to freshen engines build to 540cu/in and increase power to 950+?

Sell within a year and save for a couple years for a different boat? New boat would have to be Longer then 35', Newer then 2001, faster then 100mph, stronger drives then Imco SC's, Better paint, EFI, Cat or V, Cabin does not matter cruiser has one, Large cockpit is a current plus but not required, Sit down boat is an option, Very clean, freshwater.

Help me spend my sugarmama's money! (I wish, but if Kristy was loaded would buy a BIG & Fast Skater or MTI!) Thanks in advance for your great ideas
Are you just looking for speed? Where do you boat?

You can get alot of speed from a 32 or so foot cat, and not spend a ton of money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.