Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
almost there! 29ol/302 or 33ol? factors listed! >

almost there! 29ol/302 or 33ol? factors listed!

Notices

almost there! 29ol/302 or 33ol? factors listed!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason3603
Stopping is what always concerns me the most when tow anything.

After doing a very quick web search on a 2011 Expedition its GVWR is 7441 and the weight of a 33 is roughly 7500 not including the trailer. You are only over weight by whatever the trailer is. With that said I wouldn't hesitate at all to use the expedition.
Plus fuel, water, tools. parts, beer, coolers, fenders, lines, batteries, stereo, options, accessories. etc. etc. 12,000 lbs. is a good estimate by obnoxus.

Seriously folks? Are we actually advocating a less seasoned person going out and towing a brand new heavy load with a towing setup that is clearly underrated and unsafe? This board is better than that.

Good rule of thumb:
Single engine boat: 1/2 ton whatever
Twin engine boat: 3/4 ton or better
Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

We will be down by you in May for the Tickfaw 200 again next year,,,,,had a blast this year
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Plus fuel, water, tools. parts, beer, coolers, fenders, lines, batteries, stereo, options, accessories. etc. etc. 12,000 lbs. is a good estimate by obnoxus.

Seriously folks? Are we actually advocating a less seasoned person going out and towing a brand new heavy load with a towing setup that is clearly underrated and unsafe? This board is better than than
Good rule of thumb:
Single engine boat: 1/2 ton whatever
Twin engine boat: 3/4 ton or better
Who is less seasoned?? I have actually been around boats my whole life, pulled everything from jet ski's, to a 28ft Bertram.. to a 34ft camper. Now, usually drove small pickup up to a tractor trailer with air brakes. Also can operate everything from a skidsteer to a trackhoe.

With all that said, thanks and i appreciate your concern and weight estimates. I am only looking for opinions on my options on both boats. My primary launch is less than one mile from the house. We have NO elevation down here and I would consider myself a cautious, yet skilled and defensive driver. (Probably from riding streetbikes for many years when most ppl don't see you!!)

If you have been down here for tickfaw, this lil pond can get pretty rough. One of the reasons for my upgrade. Couple years ago we even had 20+ MPH winds.. smart enough to stay home that day.

Oh, also drove a 42ft RV thru downtown new Orleans evacuating for Katrina!! Now, that was fun!!

All in all, it sounds like pulling a 33 with the exp would be like pulling my 25ol loaded with my 4dr wrangler! (3500 tow cap!!) Slow and steady! Long rolling stops :-)
Thanks

Last edited by nailit; 12-03-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
Who is less seasoned?? I have actually been around boats my whole life, ...

With all that said, thanks and i appreciate your concern and weight estimates. I am only looking for opinions on my options on both boats. ...

Thanks
We are on the same page my friend. My comment/post was by no means a dig on you, and I believe you know that. My comment was to the other "seasoned" folks on the board with the piss poor advice.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Go for the 33 you will not regret it, I really like mine. Great boat
Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wwolfe
just put a deposit on a 03 302 few weeks ago.
Did you buy Irish Tornado?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obnoxus
Cmon man,,,,,,dont give advise like that.

It will be tickling 12,000 lbs on a trailer

In a straight line on flat ground with no one around,,,,probably.

The first panic stop, or emergency lane change and its all over
I agree with this 100%. Part of your search for a larger boat should include a tow vehicle that is capable of towing it. Don't risk the safety of yourself let alone others even if it is "only 1 mile from house" a serious accident doesn't know how far away from your house you are. If it ever were to happen and the odds of it happening go up drasticly when you put yourself at risk like this you will regret it forever.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 130 Likes on 52 Posts

Congratz on the poss sale man. I remember when you got the 25 your buddy "Deepsouth" Josh told me about it...good friend of mine.

Since I worked/sold Baja for many years if you can swing a 33 then do it...and a 33 with equal power does not run the same speeds as a 29 with the same power. I don't know of any stock 33's with HO's that run 78-80 but they run nice with HO's. DO NOT pull a 33 with a 1/2 ton. If you get a 29 DO NOT pull it with a 1/2 ton. Flat ground getting moving, no prob...give it some hills or a steap ramp and you'll get in trouble...and as I think everyone has mentioned (didn't read the entire post) stopping is a whole nother ballgame with a 1/2 ton EOH or not.

Sorta like that commercial with the Tundra towing the space shuttle at 2 mph...sure right.

Last edited by HOSSMAN; 12-03-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm an Outlaw fan I'd owed the 25, 29 (single) and 33 Outlaw. They are all great boats.

The 1999 25 had a 502 MPI and worked great for us, we put over 400 hours on that boat.

The 2000 29 single is a great ridding boat, just wasn't fast enough for the crew that I hung with at the time. Size wise the cockpit doesn't have much more room than a 25, but the cuddy, ride and speed of a twin engine 29 is where it's at.

The 2001 33 we owned had 496 Mags and ran 69 GPS, it was a great rough water boat and we enjoyed it. The cockpit is huge and it did every thing we asked of it. I sold the boat with 650 hours and we sold it for the same money we bought it for. The problem is finding a clean, well optioned, unmolested low hour 33 that is reasonable right now. I went and looked at a nice 2004 last week for a customer and it was 5 hours away.

If you want a 33 and can swing it now, do it.

If you want a deal a 29 is where it's at right now.

I'd stay away from the 30 & 35 Outlaw's with liners.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie
I'm an Outlaw fan I'd owed the 25, 29 (single) and 33 Outlaw. They are all great boats.

The 1999 25 had a 502 MPI and worked great for us, we put over 400 hours on that boat.

The 2000 29 single is a great ridding boat, just wasn't fast enough for the crew that I hung with at the time. Size wise the cockpit doesn't have much more room than a 25, but the cuddy, ride and speed of a twin engine 29 is where it's at.

The 2001 33 we owned had 496 Mags and ran 69 GPS, it was a great rough water boat and we enjoyed it. The cockpit is huge and it did every thing we asked of it. I sold the boat with 650 hours and we sold it for the same money we bought it for. The problem is finding a clean, well optioned, unmolested low hour 33 that is reasonable right now. I went and looked at a nice 2004 last week for a customer and it was 5 hours away.

If you want a 33 and can swing it now, do it.

If you want a deal a 29 is where it's at right now.

I'd stay away from the 30 & 35 Outlaw's with liners.
That's where I am stuck... Your 29. (Did hear it sat for 4 years??) or a deal on a 33 in what I want to spend may have unseen issues! Moreso b/c i would like cockpit space and head. Like 302 as compromise but even harder to find wih mags, wind screen and platform!

Last edited by nailit; 12-03-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.