Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
almost there! 29ol/302 or 33ol? factors listed! >

almost there! 29ol/302 or 33ol? factors listed!

Notices

almost there! 29ol/302 or 33ol? factors listed!

Old 12-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default almost there! 29ol/302 or 33ol? factors listed!

OK, so I have someone interested (I.e. headed to bank) so possibility of sale soon.. maybe!

Narrowed down to the 3... of the 3 choice, a 33 would my #1 choice, but!

Tow vehicle is 2011 Exp Ltd w/ 9000 cap
95% trailering w/in 45 miles of home.
Would 33 be in managable since it would put me over cap?
10 yr plan to buy house on the lake with lift ( currently on 20 acre landlocked now for lil boat and seadoos) b/c schools districts, etc.
Objective: smoother ride in 2-3's with small kids, more cockpit space, enclosed head would be nice for kids to poop!
Must have mags!
29 cockpit space is OK b/c it has anchor locker up front so when we stop, don't have to play musical seats to get anchor out!

Should go ahead and get 33 or wait to trade up in a few years. Found a nice 29 and a 33. Would I be happy with 29ft and easier tow for now? Is ride that big of a difference? 302 would better, but 29's easier to find.
Coming from a 25 now! 2-3,s now is OK, but lil bumpy for kids.

Speed wise.. 70 is fine.. 50 to hard 55 cruise is goal (hard= 4k Max)

Thanks for input!

Last edited by nailit; 12-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were up to me I would go with the 33. If you buy the 29 you are going to wish you bought the 33. I don't think you'll find much of a difference between the 29 and 33 as far as towing it. Just be cautious and don't over drive your azz when towing.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

honestly,,,,,I wouldnt pull either one with an Expedition......you will be overweight

Buy an older truck and the 33 Outlaw
Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by obnoxus
honestly,,,,,I wouldnt pull either one with an Expedition......you will be overweight

Buy an older truck and the 33 Outlaw
I hear ya, I tow my 25 down the road (1 mile) with my 4dr wrangler. Its all about room to stop..

75% of the w/in 45 mile radius will be in town. May consider truck in next year or so as I need a beater to commute 90 rd trip to work (Co paid fuel)

Last edited by nailit; 12-02-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of our crowed "ICDEDPPL" here had a 33 and towed with with an excursion slightly lifted and bigger tires. Towed well. Yes leagally overweight, but did the nob nicely. Go for the 33 even if a bit of a stretch, you won't have the itch to upgrade so fast. One of the best all around hulls Baja ever built.

The 29 is "basically" a 25 outlaw with twins. By that I mean it's really a small boat all around, and tight to work on. A 33 is big everywhere, and lots of room to work, and rides tons better and is faster same power.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

from what ive seen a 29 is almost the same as a 25 but with twins and a little more cabin room. 33 is a whole nother ballpark and worth the step up IMO.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:46 PM
DRP
Registered

Originally Posted by paulb32
One of our crowed "ICDEDPPL" here had a 33 and towed with with an excursion slightly lifted and bigger tires. Towed well. Yes leagally overweight, but did the nob nicely. Go for the 33 even if a bit of a stretch, you won't have the itch to upgrade so fast. One of the best all around hulls Baja ever built.

The 29 is "basically" a 25 outlaw with twins. By that I mean it's really a small boat all around, and tight to work on. A 33 is big everywhere, and lots of room to work, and rides tons better and is faster same power.
The OP has an Expedition not an Excursion. The Excursion can handle a 33 or bigger.

I think you can carefully make it by with the Expedition with either boat you are thinking about... Depending on trailer/situated on trailer and also tongue weight. Just be safe and leave extra room for braking!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put EOH brakes on the trailer and the braking won't be a factor, as far as the stopping concern only. Infact, I'd do EOH regardless of tow vehicle
Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

IMHO
You should get a whole bunch legal protection insurance. If you are knowingly towing overweight and you are involved in an accident, with or without injuries your going to need all the legal help you can get. People are sue crazy and I bet they would love to own everything you have. This does not even take in to account the additional safety risk to you and your family. I know--everything always happens to everyone else---till it happens to you. just say'n
Jay

Last edited by never enuff; 12-02-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by never enuff
IMHO
You should get a whole bunch legal protection insurance. If you are knowingly towing overweight and you are involved in an accident, with or without injuries your going to need all the legal help you can get. People are sue crazy and I bet they would love to own everything you have. This does not even take in to account the additional safety risk to you and your family. I know--everything always happens to everyone else---till it happens to you. just say'n
Jay
Since I pull my 43 BT with my 2500 Silverado and it also being overweight the 3 different insurance people I spoke to here in Michigan pretty much laughed at me when asked them about add on coverage for this since it's over weight. They all pretty much stated if I were in an accident and it was deemed my fault and some was seriously injured I would be in a world of hurt anyway.

Back to the OP; see if the seller will allow you to hook up to the 33 and tow it down the highway this way you can make the decision for yourself. Before you do make certain the brakes on trailer and tow vehicle are very good working order. Just my 2 cents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.