Hello all..questions and advice regarding 232 islander >

Hello all..questions and advice regarding 232 islander

Notices

Hello all..questions and advice regarding 232 islander

Old 05-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Abs777
Am I looking in the wrong places? I cannot find a 2001+ Islander for under $27k anywhere. I have been looking everyday since March.

I have stopped at the shop that is doing the work. They are putting a 6.2 long block in it from Mercruiser, it has all of the paperwork. It comes with the 1 warranty with the option to buy an additional two years on top of the one. I honestly don't think the boat has been neglected. It's solid everywhere. All of the plywood looks great. They are pulling the engine today. I told the owner of the shop to take pictures of the transom and stringers. He said he will check it out closely.
I was going by your statement that it looks like it sat outside, uncovered for a period. You just have to wonder if any water made it's way into the wood structure. Sounds good on the engine deal although I'd want a big block in a boat that size. Maybe the other Baja owners can give you more info on what to check specifically. Is the gel oxidized from sitting in the sun? Good luck on your decision.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I was going by your statement that it looks like it sat outside, uncovered for a period. You just have to wonder if any water made it's way into the wood structure. Sounds good on the engine deal although I'd want a big block in a boat that size. Maybe the other Baja owners can give you more info on what to check specifically. Is the gel oxidized from sitting in the sun? Good luck on your decision.
That is what confuses me... The gel coat and other cushions look great. It really is only that middle bench cushion. The way it is pulling and hardened looks as if it has sat out, but everything else looks great. The carpet in the compartments is clean and not mildewed...it's a tough call. I'd love to find someone that has one for sale that has owned it for years and taken great care of it, I just can't find one in my price range ($25k-ish).

I like the 6.2 though...more horsepower than the big block (7.4), but lighter and less gas consumption. Right?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Registered

Chances are if one cushion has issues, the others are far behind. I would factor in the cost of replacing all the upholstery. How did the bilge look the first time you looked at the boat? Usually you can tell if they sat out in the weather by looking at the bilge area. What part of the country is the boat in? It's a tough call. I would definitely get a survey.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rumrunner29
It does look like a decent boat in the pics, but 20K seems a little on the high side to me as well..
XT can make your cockpit and bow covers.
Very true!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually don't think the price is too far off. The Tach should be a $55 repair by Faria. For reference I paid ~23k for my 2002 232 performance last year that was in cleaner condition, but also has needed a few things along the way.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Registered

I think it sounds like a pretty decent buy, 232 Islanders are hard to come by and they are desirable and sell fast. I really wanted a newer boat but ended up buying a 99 with 250 hours that had everything I wanted and was perfect for 19k last summer. I love the boat and am very happy with it, check everything over good and if you like what you see buy it, just remember vinyl work gets expensive, especially the sunpad if you want it to look like a factory one. I drive 7 hours one way last year to buy a 02 but had to walk away from it because it was so neglected, the one your looking at looks pretty clean and is a sharp boat, good luck.