Hello all..questions and advice regarding 232 islander >

Hello all..questions and advice regarding 232 islander

Notices

Hello all..questions and advice regarding 232 islander

Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all..questions and advice regarding 232 islander

I have been trying to buy this 2002 232 islander for a couple months now. The boat is in pretty good shape...has 450 hours on it. It has a couple scrapes on the hull from where it got into a dock, but nothing major. It mainly needs a good cleaning on the inside. The owner of the boat is a business man and took the boat on a debt that he was owed...he knows nothing about boats. Never had it in the water, it hasn't been licensed since 2012. I went to look at it and noticed it had a cracked manifold, put muffs on it and ran it and it wasn't pumping water. I could tell it wasn't winterized. He took it to the marina and they said the obvious..cracked block. So now it is having a new mercruiser 6.2 put in it, with a warranty. So that is a plus...new motor. I can tell the boat has sat out a little without a cover. The rear center seat cushion is starting to pull away where it is stitched. That will probably have to be replaced. The sunpad\engine cover is in pretty good shape, nothing major there. What else should I be looking at. The engine is being put in it this week. I am going to ask the mechanic how the transom looks and the stringers\rails...anything else? The outdrive and skeg look great..no marks at all. The keel of the boat is flawless too.

Here are the negatives of the boat...
no cockpit or bow cover, just a mooring cover.
No bimini top.
Tac doesn't work (getting quote to get that fixed)
Seat will tear soon and need reupholstered.
The walk through windshield won't close, it needs to be aligned. It hits at the top.

Do you think $20,500 is a fair price for this boat?

Attached are the pics and thanks for the info!

http://postimg.org/image/kbpv7kc73

http://postimg.org/image/y8bis1vqj

http://postimg.org/image/wvun64e3x

http://postimg.org/image/x3d85k0qn

Last edited by Abs777; 05-14-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: No pics
Old 05-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Registered

Seems high to me for a boat that hasn't been took care of. JMO
Old 05-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have to question yourself you have your answer. $20k is a lot of money. Would you buy a car that had equal concerns? Probably not.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
If you have to question yourself you have your answer. $20k is a lot of money. Would you buy a car that had equal concerns? Probably not.
Well put
Old 05-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Registered

It's a clean boat other than the middle bench cushion starting to crack at the seam. I have been looking a while and can't find anything close to that for under $27k...plus it is going to have a brand new motor and the out drive has been gone through with new seals too. I checked all the wood in the seats and they are solid with no soft spots. I checked with XT Innovations and they charge $300 to redo the cushion. So, I would have less than $21k in the boat. From what I have seen a bimini top is anywhere from $300-$800 dollars. I still haven't been able to find the cockpit and bow covers, so not sure how much those cost. I've looked on boat trader and there isn't anything within 300 miles of me that is 23'+ open bow in decent shape for $20k.

I am nervous, but I guess it's a calculated risk. I will know more when I go to the shop that's putting the motor in and talk to the mechanic and check it out a little closer.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Also, don't overlook having a survey done if you want piece of mind. Sometimes traveling is worth the investment. I drove 1800 miles roundtrip to get my last boat and 1400 miles for the one before it. I'd rather spend the money on fuel that have to pay a mechanic to fix one due to relative travel time.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
Also, don't overlook having a survey done if you want piece of mind. Sometimes traveling is worth the investment. I drove 1800 miles roundtrip to get my last boat and 1400 miles for the one before it. I'd rather spend the money on fuel that have to pay a mechanic to fix one due to relative travel time.
Hey CrownLPX....I live in Florence, grew up in Petersburg...crazy!

I haven't ruled out traveling. I just haven't found anything worth it yet.

Thanks,

Abs
Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Too much money especially for a boat that has been neglected. You don't know what they are putting in there for an engine either. Oh, no bimini is a plus as I see it..... It does look nice in the pictures though.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 05-16-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Registered

It does look like a decent boat in the pics, but 20K seems a little on the high side to me as well..
XT can make your cockpit and bow covers.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Too much money especially for a boat that has been neglected. You don't know what they are putting in there for an engine either. Oh, no bimini is a plus as I see it..... It does look nice in the pictures though.
Am I looking in the wrong places? I cannot find a 2001+ Islander for under $27k anywhere. I have been looking everyday since March.

I have stopped at the shop that is doing the work. They are putting a 6.2 long block in it from Mercruiser, it has all of the paperwork. It comes with the 1 warranty with the option to buy an additional two years on top of the one. I honestly don't think the boat has been neglected. It's solid everywhere. All of the plywood looks great. They are pulling the engine today. I told the owner of the shop to take pictures of the transom and stringers. He said he will check it out closely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.