Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Should I or not, its free......88 Baja 280 sport. >

Should I or not, its free......88 Baja 280 sport.

Notices

Should I or not, its free......88 Baja 280 sport.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd grab it. Go all cheap stuff and make it a pirate boat
Old 08-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdinvt
Whats wrong with the trailer?
The trailer looks like it's been stripped too. No fenders or running boards, not likely the lights or wiring is good, tires, brakes....Its a boxed or tube frame that's likely rotten from the inside out. How many times has it been dunked in salt water?

Boat is just missing way too many key and almost impossible to replace parts. Just the cockpit interior replaced will be three times what the boats worth. You'd be way ahead to buy the one you saw listed for $10K if you want a project boat.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to much work not enough reward jmo
Old 08-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Registered

The fenders are off and in the boat, it has all four brand new tires, and the frame is boxed, no rust or rot on it. He towed it from conn to vt with no problems.if I had 10k to buy a boat, it wouldnt be one that needs work. Your all forgetting, im wayyyy up here in vermont anc you hardly ever see these style boats up herd on the lake.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Registered

There's some good advice being given here.....I know it's free and it sounds like a good deal but when you do the math you'll have way more money into it than it's worth and that doesn't include any of your time wasted.....and it's going to take a ton of time! I'd save up for a year or two and buy something more turn key and more desirable. Just my 2 cents but if I was going to take on a project like that I'd only do it on something rare, not an old common boat like that. Either way good luck
Old 08-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

any resto is not worth it. always upsiade down. On the other end, if you can spend lets say 30k to bring it back to life, and afford to loose 15 selling it, it might be a way for you to get in to performance boating ! not always easy to buy a 50 or 100 k boat, and still loose the same 15 k or even much more... Plan your budget and time line, then double both, you should not be far from truth. !!!
Old 08-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Registered

My point is with the boxed construction the inside isn't painted, never was. What you can't see can be/is deadly. If it has been in salt water even once you can accelerate that process dramatically. Why are the fenders off the trailer?

As far as the $10k, man you're looking at 5 times that to make that boat a reliable decent weekend ride. I'll stand by my comment. A running boat that "needs some TLC" and has a price that reflects the condition would be a much "wiser" place to dump your money/starting point....if this is your intended method to get yourself in the powerboat game. At least then you've got some resale value. With this thing you'll be $25k in before you have something worth $8500. You realize feeding twin 502's is $600 a fill up, at $3 a gallon? Have you thought about storage and insurance? This is an extremely expensive hobby. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:40 PM
Registered

I have been there and done exactly what you are planning. Got a 30' Wellcraft Scarab project VERY cheep. Lost my ass on it. Take the advice and buy something running and complete. TLC is cheep, parts are not.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Registered

You sound optimistic about The potential future value of this boat after you raid Sanford and Son's yard for a bunch of ragtag parts. If you think this boat could eventually be worth $30,000 after your rebuild, you better be assuming that you're using all new parts and have invested at least $60,000 into the project.

This sport is littered with broken dreams and empty wallets. Take the advice of the experienced members of this forum, save yourself a run far away from this mistake waiting to happen.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

A Baja 280 isn't really a classic or something worth restoring. By the time you put a drivetrain in, wiring, interior, etc. it would cost you way more that it's worth. If I were to restore a boat it would be something that has more collectibility to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.