Transom modification on 38´Cigarette

Notices

Transom modification on 38´Cigarette

Old 09-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transom modification on 38´Cigarette

I ´m considering to replace on my 38´Cigarette (built 1985) the obsolete TRS drives by #5 or #6 speedmasters.

Konrad is not an option.

Is there anybody who has done such a modification.

Do I need to replace the old transom completly.

Thanks

Joe
Old 09-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transom modification on 38´Cigarette

I love this question. Would like to add more though:
When you are doing such major work to the transom is it worth going ahead and boxing the bottom out like the newer TG's are? All at the same time?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why isnt konrad an option? they cost less and will fit the existing transom assembly with no modifications to transom which will save much$$$
Old 09-13-2005, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 375stinger
why isnt konrad an option? they cost less and will fit the existing transom assembly with no modifications to transom which will save much$$$
Konrad looks reliable but parts are hard to find outside the US, above all the TRS conversion packages are supplied with no warranty ( 20K is not so cheap) .

What I like to learn, is there anybody who has experience with a transom adapter plate to convert from TRS to SSM V / VI, or do I have to replace definitely the whole transom, which is indeed a big deal.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello joee,

I thought I'd chime in here and hopefully add some first hand insight to your dilemma.

Two seasons ago, I was in the same position as you. I've got an '89 Cigarette Top Gun with TRS drives. With the power I'm running (700 hp) drive life was not very good. We were in need of a reasonable alternative.

When you really take a long hard look at the entire picture, there are'nt many options. Used Speedmasters are a gamble. Myself, I would not even consider buying used. Parts are extremely expensive and unless you are buying current models, parts will be an issue down the road.

I'm quite sure that Speedmaster Fives will be discontinued very soon. At the Miami show, I had asked why they did not have any IIIA's, IV's or V's in their booth. I was told that they're old technology and something new is in the works.

Yes, the Speedmaster Six is the king of sterndrives. The mighty Six delivers incredible reliability but the ridiculous price of the Six drive just doesn't make sense for older boats like ours. Not to mention the cost of completely re-rigging the engine compartment.

In the end, my final decision was a pair of Konrad 540's The installation was completed in one day. They are a direct bolt-on without any modifications at all. After two seasons of hard running, I could not be happier. Konrad Marine has totally eliminated sterndrive failure on my boat. I've logged 200+ hrs on them and have been able to enjoy this boat in ways that I've never imagined.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

As a follow up to my last post, I was so impressed with the Konrad product and the people behind this company that I've since taken a position with them as a sales/marketing rep for their hi performance division.

I hit the road with Konrad last March, travelling around the country visiting performance shops and boat builders from Florida to Maine. Sales have been fantastic and we are really starting to get peoples attention with our rugged drives.

As for our warranty, as long as the drive is installed within our rated torque level (740 ft/lbs) we offer a one year warranty on the all 540 drives. Higher power levels with factory approval.

To answer your concern of parts availability, The Konrad plant stocks hundreds of replacement parts for not only the US Navy but the Dutch Military and Hong Kong police as well.

I'd really like to be able to help you. Where are you located and what is your current power level?

Kurt
[email protected]
Old 09-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

540 /800s on mine with no problems...
Attached Thumbnails -mvc-058f.jpg  
Old 09-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my 85 38 Cig with Konrads taking a beating on Lake Michigan. Best thing I ever did!!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails -25bh3425r.jpg   -konrad.jpg  
Old 09-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually now with the new power i am soon (prob this winter) going to need to decide on some long term replacement or modification to replace the 15 year old bravos we got in the revo. we already bought three new transom assemblies for the bravos.
Biggus do you know if kondrad has a drive replacment bolt on kit for the bravo? the engines are basically new dynoed 643 hp 670 torque. do you know what kind of warranty they come with? how much do the drives cost?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:36 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't Mercury c*ck blocking Konrad in court with screwing with "their" bravo market?

Quick Reply: Transom modification on 38´Cigarette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.