30 Mystique owners questions >

30 Mystique owners questions

Notices

30 Mystique owners questions

Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

come and get her
Attached Thumbnails 30 Mystique owners questions-boat-042.jpg   30 Mystique owners questions-boat-048.jpg   30 Mystique owners questions-boat-051.jpg  

Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by zx14
The 2002 I am looking at has no steps. And I asked them to check the year, so I quess they made both step and none step in 02. If I can swing it , I will be a Cigarette owner, and I do want a 30' er. But I can't justify dragging the tabs around. Fuel cost too much already.
Your question is kind've grey.....Depends on what speed your running, where your weight is in the boat, where your drives are set, what the water is like, etc.

From my personal experience with several styles of cigarettes and other non-stepped boats in various water,

Straight hull Cig (or any boat ), flat water and trimmed up (trying to get more speed from it) will cause it to porpoise.

Get some wind chop, swell, etc. that is where a cig was meant to be run and does it's best.

You said "drag the tabs". I've never experienced having to drag the tabs. But run them even with the drives tapped out slightly in flat water will kill the porpoise.

I see you live in SB. I assume you'll do a lot of running on Havasu. You'll need to keep the boat trimmed evenly when running in the calm water of Havasu. On smaller boats/lake boats drivers like to trim the boat up to get the speed and the boat runs well. You trim up a big Cig in flat water it's gonna porpoise. You trim up a stepped 38 too much it's gonna porpoise. I assume you think the water can get snotty in Havasu. You buy a Cigarette and you'll never think that again about Havasu.

You drag that Cig to the Pacific and you wont need to worry about porpoise. Get into pacific ocean swell (average 3-6 feet) and poroise is not something you need to worry about. Get into real snotty ocean water and you wont need to worry about top speed either. You'll just appreciate the Cigarette ride.

One more comment. I did say depends on how the weight is distributed on the boat. I've noticed flat bottom (and stepped) boats are sensitive to where you place weight. I put my anchor, chain and rope in the bow of our Top Gun and found it caused noticable change in the way it ran in calm water. We put four suit cases in a friend straight Tiger w/6's and ran to KW from Miami and the boat porpoised so bad with the weight up front we had to stop and bring the luggage to the far aft portion of the cabin...problem solved.

Basically, I wouldn't be concerned about the porpoise issue. Like with everything else, you just need to learn the qwerks of the boat and what works best.

Good luck on the boat search. It'll be nice to have another cig in So. Cal.

Tank
Old 09-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer
come and get her
Dude, your boat is so f*ckin' bad azz!!

Is it all done and ready to rock or what? Looks great!