Cafe switch wiring issue >

Cafe switch wiring issue

Notices

Cafe switch wiring issue

Old 06-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cafe switch wiring issue

I have an '87 Cafe Racer and recently replaced all the switches on the dash with Carling Contura II switches only to find out that my notes were substandard. Currently the electric fuel pumps are not working, nor is the hatch switch. This has me second guessing my work as a whole.

I'm a little green when it comes to electrical issues and am looking for someone who may have taken pics of how the switches are supposed to be wired, or spell it out in layman's terms.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by crt35
I have an '87 Cafe Racer and recently replaced all the switches on the dash with Carling Contura II switches only to find out that my notes were substandard. Currently the electric fuel pumps are not working, nor is the hatch switch. This has me second guessing my work as a whole.

I'm a little green when it comes to electrical issues and am looking for someone who may have taken pics of how the switches are supposed to be wired, or spell it out in layman's terms.

Thanks for the help!
Email me at eric.ancarrow (at) ferguson.com

I have copies of some the original documents that I think might be helpful to you.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a wiring diagram from the factory i have an 87
-Mike
Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

I can scan the wiring diagrams and post them as PDF's when I get to work today, if you still need them.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

This might help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cafe Wiring Diagram Panel.pdf (232.9 KB, 146 views)
Cafe Wiring Diagram Switch.pdf (164.7 KB, 119 views)
Cafe Wiring Diagram Cabin.pdf (447.1 KB, 111 views)
Cafe Wiring Diagram Tabs.pdf (382.8 KB, 123 views)
Cafe Wiring Diagram Dash.pdf (581.5 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by Panic Button; 06-02-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks! this will help me troubleshoot my engine oil temp gauges.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies everyone, the information provided is much, much more than I could have hoped for.

I'll keep you updated on the progress. Cheers!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Registered

I've been able to make some headway with the switches although progress has been a bit slow. Utilizing the diagrams that seafordguy sent me (thanks Eric!) I started working on the switches from right to left because the wires on the right in my opinion were easier to decipher and reconnect. I swapped out the original ring connectors for spade connectors, soldering each new spade in place.

The following switches have been rewired and tested successfully;
Blower, Eng Hatch, Aft Pumps (Port, Stbd), Lights (all of them), water, #1, #2.

The horn has been wired but it's not working. It wasn't working when I bought the boat (an air-horn is in the glove box) and I'd like to replace the OEM horn but don't know where it's located.

The most difficult part has been trying to figure out how the key'd switch/start buttons/lanyards/fuel pumps are supposed to be wired. The diagrams above are great, however, they do not cover the key'd switches or Lanyards. Complicating things a bit more, sometime in the past someone did a bit of rewiring by disconnecting the lanyards and disconnecting Purple #3 and Purple #13 from the fuse block in the head (see the switch diagram in PanicButton's post above). I was able to find and Purple #3 and Purple #13 in the cavity of the console and track the back through the upper right side of the head where they were tapped off to the side. In the fuse panel in the head, I also found two purple wires cut at the top left side of the fuse block leaves me to believe each wire on the upper right was supposed to be wired to the upper block and the corresponding purple wire from the left connected to it. My question now is, where in the upper block are they supposed to be wired?

Thanks for listening, I'll try to get some pics tomorrow..
Old 08-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Registered

The pic below is the fuse panel in the Head, note the two purple wires with the blue tape on them, also note the two purple wires on the left side that had been cut. This was done prior to my owning the boat, all I've done is remove the clear Plexi cover to access the wires;

Last edited by crt35; 08-14-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Registered

Using the pic in the previous post (the top connection block) is it safe to assume that there is supposed to be a corresponding wire on the top for every wire connected at the bottom of the block?

Last edited by crt35; 08-14-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.