36` Cigarette Copper Kettle >

36` Cigarette Copper Kettle

Notices

36` Cigarette Copper Kettle

Old 10-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneyee
The pic of the Gara sinking was taken at the Gas dock at Cleveland Yacht Club. The night before the Lake Erie race all the racers were up in the bar "gassing" it up and describing Lake Erie as a pond. At the end of the race in that very same bar , I never heard that expression again. There were many Dnf. In fact, they never wanted to race Lake Erie again and did not for many years. The rumor , at the time, was that Satullo's 36 had been built unintentionally without one layer of glass. Apparently the Cigarette layup crew went to lunch and lost count. His boat was faster than the other 36 Cigarettes with the same power.
Goldeneyee,
Great story!! I had a feeling that was Rocky River. The center picture gave it away. The post for the Lake Rd. bridge....
Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneyee
The rumor , at the time, was that Satullo's 36 had been built unintentionally without one layer of glass. Apparently the Cigarette layup crew went to lunch and lost count. His boat was faster than the other 36 Cigarettes with the same power.
Interesting theory.
I would want to know what CAL500 thinks of it that that boat has built.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 11-01-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old School

Hello Goldeneye, Great to see some old school Vermilion finding it's way to oso! I for 1 look forward to many post's from you as i'm certain you have a vault full of very cool info!Congrats on your latest Boat! p.s. an upgrade is req. to post pic's! Again great for you to have found this place, good luck to you see you on the puddle(ha ha)! Rich
Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Registered

Rich: Thanks for the input. I'm just another lost ball in tall weeds attempting to find my way out! This appears to be a great site with many knowledgeable contributors. Perhaps, on occasion, I can contribute some old stories such as the first time I met Reggie Fountain who was peddling parts out of the back of a Mercury Marine 40' semi trailer at the Cedar Point boat race.... Bill
Old 11-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Interesting theory.
I would want to know what CAL500 thinks of it that that boat has built.
that boat was built out of wood only.custom project for sandy / not done at cigarette. sm list is comming soon.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CAL500
that boat was built out of wood only.custom project for sandy / not done at cigarette. sm list is comming soon.
the 36 cig built for sandy at the cig factory had our normal race layup. the speed differences lay in the x measurement/engines 496 wh open chamber heads and headers out the side/big holly carb. some newer engines had fuel injection and headers out the back also ssm 4 drives 1.4-1 gears and 4blade props were new and faster. sm
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered

Default top speed

what would Copper Kettles, top speed have been on his 36 cig
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by priceb
what would Copper Kettles, top speed have been on his 36 cig
the boat was tested when completed at cigarette,and later at its first race. I recall 88 mph with carbs and patterson side exhaust. look in the photos ,later we put plates over the exhaust holes and tried pipes out the rear.the old pipes were cracking and leaking after some races. lite on fuel.sm
Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Copper Kettle max speed

Interesting to note the 88.0mph.Looking through past race records,Copper Kettle averaged 73.8mph in it`s first race which it won in light conditions.If you use ,say an american speed formula where the weight of the boat in lbs is divided by the shp and then square root the whole lot and multiply it by the speed in mph you would obtain a constant.Use this same constant with the weight adjusted to give the speed in say light or full condition.

Using the above for half load (9210lbs) = 73.8mph (average) and light load (7954lbs) = 79.5mph (end of race)

The weights are based on a 37ft al.alloy OP1 with 1050hp.

Dry Martini (36ft ciggy) averaged 83.2 mph in one race with 1200hp,and if you used the above as a guide that could give 89.0mph in light condition,so 88.0mph with 1050hp I would have thought must have been absolutely balls out.

BTW 1979 Free Spirit - G.Leiber (36ft ciggy),what was that boat`s history I wonder.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flying fish
Interesting to note the 88.0mph.Looking through past race records,Copper Kettle averaged 73.8mph in it`s first race which it won in light conditions.If you use ,say an american speed formula where the weight of the boat in lbs is divided by the shp and then square root the whole lot and multiply it by the speed in mph you would obtain a constant.Use this same constant with the weight adjusted to give the speed in say light or full condition.

Using the above for half load (9210lbs) = 73.8mph (average) and light load (7954lbs) = 79.5mph (end of race)

The weights are based on a 37ft al.alloy OP1 with 1050hp.

Dry Martini (36ft ciggy) averaged 83.2 mph in one race with 1200hp,and if you used the above as a guide that could give 89.0mph in light condition,so 88.0mph with 1050hp I would have thought must have been absolutely balls out.

BTW 1979 Free Spirit - G.Leiber (36ft ciggy),what was that boat`s history I wonder.
as for 36 ' cig to reach 88 mph with carb. engines we had grind a rocker in the last 12'' of of the bottom,plus trimed out and full throttle. sm will think about gills boat

Quick Reply: 36` Cigarette Copper Kettle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.