Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Anyone have any info on Martini boats? >

Anyone have any info on Martini boats?

Notices

Anyone have any info on Martini boats?

Old 01-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

When I was interested in a 24x7 I did my best to compile a list of every variant:

24 Adrenaline
24 Aero
24 Carrera
24 Cheetah
24 Cobra
24 Condor
24 Corsa
24 Excalibur
24 Jaws
24 Monza
24 P&D
24 Pantera
24 Panther
24 python
24 Seabird
24 Scorpion
24 Sunsation
24 Superboat
Cigarette FireFox
Progression 24

Lancer
Twister
24 BRT

“Stretchade” from 24x7
25 Martini
26 Martini
25 Corsa
26 Corsa
27 Excalibur
27 Activator
25 Sunsation Aggressor
25 Magnum Marine
32 Activator
27 Avanti
28 Garetta
26 Joker
27 Carrera
27 Chris Craft XK8
30 Superboat Y2K
30 Superboat CC
30 Superboat Tempest
27 Wellcraft Excalibur Speedster
31 IMP

“cuted” from 24x7
22 Avanti
Old 01-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Firecat,
I'm looking at an ad for Corsa from the 1977 Benihana Grand Prix, it lists, a 9 Meter and a 40' model. The ad says built by Frank Thomas and has their address as 17th Ave. Miami Fl. In this same program, it lists a 30' Corsa "Tight Rope" (with Robert Solovei and Paul Haggerty) as having won the Production class race in 1976.
I also have an ad for Corsa featuring "Cocktails" a 30' Modified boat.
Just curious if this is the same "Corsa" company as the one your family was involved with.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
Firecat,
I'm looking at an ad for Corsa from the 1977 Benihana Grand Prix, it lists, a 9 Meter and a 40' model. The ad says built by Frank Thomas and has their address as 17th Ave. Miami Fl. In this same program, it lists a 30' Corsa "Tight Rope" (with Robert Solovei and Paul Haggerty) as having won the Production class race in 1976.
I also have an ad for Corsa featuring "Cocktails" a 30' Modified boat.
Just curious if this is the same "Corsa" company as the one your family was involved with.
I remember Cocktails quite well. In fact, when it was fist built, I went along on her very first test drive. However, as for any sort of memorabilia, the only things I currently have in my possession are some old business cards and perhaps one or two trinkets. To be honest, I haven't spoken to my family in quite some time. The last time I even saw any brochure was over 10 years ago.

I'm very sorry I could not be of any help.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1983 26ft Corsa is this the same boat as a Martini? Is the bottom the same?I"m trying to dial the hull in and have a 540ci 600hp with an xr drive. Best speed so far 81 mph spinning a 3 blade 27p. How much hp would i need for 90mph?
Old 01-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerplayDave
I have a 1983 26ft Corsa is this the same boat as a Martini? Is the bottom the same?I"m trying to dial the hull in and have a 540ci 600hp with an xr drive. Best speed so far 81 mph spinning a 3 blade 27p. How much hp would i need for 90mph?
Same manufacturer, slightly different boat. There were some changes made, between Martini and Corsa, but is essentially a similar boat. As for your speed problem. One of the first things I learned about boats vs. speed, was that 50 mph was not that difficult and it takes a HUGE jump, in rpm, to get a boat past 60 mph. Other factors I discovered, beyond mere horsepower and rpm, were:

1) the amount of time the boat spent in the water. I don't mean, "dry dock." I mean: as you're flying across the waves and your boat, literally, skips or flies out of the water. For every time this occurs, you are losing momentum and speed, for the props are no longer moving the boat through the water. Some people have installed longer, deeper reaching, out-drives to limit this. I've known of a few, "custom made," out-drives. Mind you, the longer the out drive, the greater the chance of bottoming in shallower water. Please note: this may or may not be one of your problems - but for many people, it is.
2) The cut or angle of the bow. A great deal of study went into this issue, especially when the very first Martini's were being built. Too great or too small an angle can severely effect how the boat moves through the water. Too great creates too much friction and resistance. Too small does not create enough displacement - not to mention a far greater loss of control. Both Martini and Corsa had determined 27.5 degrees was the sweet spot of speed + control. (Although this is not your issue, it had to be mentioned)
3) It should be noted: most boats of this type, stock from the builder, regardless of manufacturer, FEW do much more than 70 mph. So 81 is nothing to sneeze at! Years ago, when running around in the Martini's Miss Italia (verified between 96-98 mph) I would encounter many people who would claim speeds well in excess of 90 mph and even 100 mph. Miss Italia, at 3/4 throttle would pass them quite easily. Boats don't come with a speedometer and, on the water, 70 mph certainly feels like 90! I've enough experience to know, "boats seldom move as fast as the claims of their owners." So don't get caught up in the hype and the plethora of greatly exaggerated claims. Many boats that do exceed 90, were manufactured or altered, specifically for racing. A Chevy Monte Carlo does not do 150 mph; let alone, over 200 mph... Unless, of course, you are talking to one of the drivers of the Daytona 500. The same principle applies to MOST off-shore race type boats ... keep that in mind. I cannot begin to count how many times, I have been to a boat show and meeting various salesmen and builders, hearing their claims of 90+ mph boats. 81 mph is no joke and few boats will out-run you... But I fully understand and appreciate that desire for 90.
4) The type and style of the prop can make a BIG difference. Rounded vs. racing props, for instance. Yet, like tires, racing vs. road... sure the racing tire will give you better performance and traction, but they are more expensive and you will be replacing them more often. The same thing applies to the higher performance racing props. They cut through the water much better, suffer less resistance, thus spin easier and faster, propelling the boat at greater velocities. However, they are more prone to damage and seem to break easier.
5a) Weight: so many people think the bigger and more powerful the motor, the faster it will go. This only works to a point. There are other factors in play --- like the previously mentioned 4 items --- But, in addition to those, weight does play a significant role. For example: your boat, as it sits, right now: squeeze a dozen people on that boat and I'll bet it doesn't even come close to that 81 mph. Like that happy middle round of 27.5*, between just the right amount of resistance, to allow for speed and control. A boat needs the perfect amount of weight to keep it from skipping (as in example 1), yet not so much weight as to keep the entire boat in the water (creating more resistance). Just a thought - without seeing the rest of your boat - a 540cc MAY be a little heavy for a 7.7M boat.
5b) Heavier vs lighter engines. As previously mentioned, the heavier, more powerful the engine, the faster it will go - but only to a point - before the sheer weight of the engine begins to slow it down. Heavier/bigger vs. lighter/smaller: A smaller engine, say a 427 or a 454 MAY make a difference, especially IF you can still generate that 600 hp or more. However, generating power from smaller engines is also more likely to cause damage to that engine. Whereas, the bigger the engine, the more durable the engine - as you seldom reach a point that over stresses. Again, think of a car. If you are, "putting the pedal to the metal," on a 2.2 L 4 cylinder vs a 5.0 L 8 cylinder ... which one will likely give out first? You must ask yourself, "Will achieving 90 mph prove to be more advantageous, if my boat spends more time in dry dock, being repaired?" - or - "Would I be happier knowing I got it to 83-84, and comforted in the knowledge it's in the water and not dry dock?" Trust me, I very well know the fate, troubles and expense of the few boats that actually do more than 90 mph.

Without doing ANYTHING different to the motor and NOT messing with the hull, you can achieve faster speeds. How much more? I can't say for sure. I have seen boats get a longer out-drive, get fitted for a top of the line prop and gain a 10-15% increase in speed (that would be 8-12 mph for you - placing you at 89-93 mph). I have also seen the same improvements gain little more than 2-4% (83-85 mph max, for you).

As a side note: Miss Italia, if I remember correctly, ran a Chevy 327.

Lastly, I would like to state: neither owner of Martini/Corsa/Stuart Angler owned a boat. I asked my uncle, "why?", one day. To this he replied, "For too many people, a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into."

I hope I have offered some help and insight on this issue.

Last edited by Firecat; 01-13-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerplayDave
Fastest corsa i ever seen .. Owners name is frank
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any info on Martini boats?-dsc03675.jpg   Anyone have any info on Martini boats?-dsc03677.jpg  
Old 01-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

Looks like the old Franks Marines A boat from the early 90s ?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 87 Posts

yy
Originally Posted by hogie roll
When I was interested in a 24x7 I did my best to compile a list of every variant:

24 Adrenaline
24 Aero
24 Carrera
24 Cheetah
24 Cobra
24 Condor
24 Corsa
24 Excalibur
24 Jaws
24 Monza
24 P&D
24 Pantera
24 Panther
24 python
24 Seabird
24 Scorpion
24 Sunsation
24 Superboat
Cigarette FireFox
Progression 24

Lancer
Twister
24 BRT

“Stretchade” from 24x7
25 Martini
26 Martini
25 Corsa
26 Corsa
27 Excalibur
27 Activator
25 Sunsation Aggressor
25 Magnum Marine
32 Activator
27 Avanti
28 Garetta
26 Joker
27 Carrera
27 Chris Craft XK8
30 Superboat Y2K
30 Superboat CC
30 Superboat Tempest
27 Wellcraft Excalibur Speedster
31 IMP

“cuted” from 24x7
22 Avanti
Your list needs a revision.

The 24 Cigarette, Fire Fox or any other model out of that mold was 24 X 8 feet wide, not 24 X 7.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
yy

Your list needs a revision.

The 24 Cigarette, Fire Fox or any other model out of that mold was 24 X 8 feet wide, not 24 X 7.
Also the CC XK 8 metre is a 7'10" beam.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any info on Martini boats?-cc-8-m-h2o.jpg  
Old 01-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

----Loved those 8 Meters!!!........Bill S

Quick Reply: Anyone have any info on Martini boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.