Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice. >

1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice.

Notices

1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
ok the question is:

transom bracket(s) : i can use two individual brackets or one large one.

how much setback is enough? 20, 26, 30 inches???
My first and last post on this thread....... no setback......

If the fastest and best handling Shadow Cats in history didn't need any set back, has something changed? The boats were set up with the C/G exactly where it needed to be fore and aft. Sticking a monstrosity on the transom will have a negative impact on that (as it does to many designs), potentially damage the transom, and generally jerk around with the whole concept of the boat as designed. If you need a swim platform, have a light weight piece made up between the motors. I would keep the money from the setback/brackets and invest in 20 inch center sections for the motors. They are certainly available on the used market.

T2x
Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
My first and last post on this thread....... no setback......

If the fastest and best handling Shadow Cats in history didn't need any set back, has something changed? The boats were set up with the C/G exactly where it needed to be fore and aft. Sticking a monstrosity on the transom will have a negative impact on that (as it does to many designs), potentially damage the transom, and generally jerk around with the whole concept of the boat as designed. If you need a swim platform, have a light weight piece made up between the motors. I would keep the money from the setback/brackets and invest in 20 inch center sections for the motors. They are certainly available on the used market.

T2x
the expert has spoken

so.......i guess that leaves me with only one option.........cut and shape the transom like the outboard version of my boat....????

or is full motor tilt necessary?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the expert has spoken

so.......i guess that leaves me with only one option.........cut and shape the transom like the outboard version of my boat....????

or is full motor tilt necessary?
or...leave it as god (t2x) has intended... ouboards are for fishing boats...

all kidding aside, if it were mine, i'd leave it be.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
or...leave it as god (t2x) has intended... ouboards are for fishing boats...

all kidding aside, if it were mine, i'd leave it be.
Isn't T2x's skater outboard?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I know you are set on Outboards but man that hull was way before it's time relative to propulsion systems. Has anyone set a Shadow 30 up with some say 400hp small blocks with some 1.65 ratio bravo type drives at the correct height. I remember going 83 in a 30 Chris Cat with bone stock 400hp 454 cyclones and number 2's just think what lighter power in the better Shadow hull could be capable of.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by prostock85
Isn't T2x's skater outboard?

It certainly is, but it was also designed/built for outboards, unlike your 30 shadow cat. My 30 shadow cat was built for outboards with a motor well and reinforced transom.

you will devalue the hull if you cut it up to make it an outboard boat....and granted these hulls are not incredibly valuable, but some day someone will look at what you've done and say "WTF?"

throw some motors in it like "el boss" and you'll be styling...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Sean,

That brings up a good question. Were there any significant design differences, other than the transom, between the outboard and i/o version?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
Sean,

That brings up a good question. Were there any significant design differences, other than the transom, between the outboard and i/o version?

I honestly dont know...and i'm certainly no expert, but would imagine fuel tank placement would different. Rich would know better...

I guess my philosophy on things like this are that we are merely caretakers of these classic boats for the next owner to enjoy and should treat them as such...try to keep them original and work within the orginal design...and if it doesnt meet your specs, buy a boat that does...
Old 07-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
I honestly dont know...and i'm certainly no expert, but would imagine fuel tank placement would different. Rich would know better...

I guess my philosophy on things like this are that we are merely caretakers of these classic boats for the next owner to enjoy and should treat them as such...try to keep them original and work within the orginal design...and if it doesnt meet your specs, buy a boat that does...
yeah i see your point. this boat is beautiful. i really dont like the idea of cutting it up......but i want outboards.

i may just sell the complete boat just the way i bought it and buy something else. it sucks cus i LOVE the lines of this boat and its in sucj solid condition i hate to let it go.

anybody interested in buying the boat? '84 30ft shadow cat, really nice paint/gelcoat. it has #3 drives installed (new rebuilt) and turbo 400 3 speed transmissions (new from B&M) all motor mounts, trans mounts , drive shafts and couplings are included. just needs power and interior and gauges and some minor rigging..... also comes with alot of chrome pieces: sea strainers, fittings, controls, etc.....nice trailer too. this would make a BADASS boat. call me if your interested. 606 575 0208 max

WILL TRADE FOR TWIN OUTBOARD BOAT
Old 07-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

yeah i see your point. this boat is beautiful. i really dont like the idea of cutting it up......but i want outboards.

i may just sell the complete boat just the way i bought it and buy something else. it sucks cus i LOVE the lines of this boat and its in sucj solid condition i hate to let it go.

anybody interested in buying the boat? '84 30ft shadow cat, really nice paint/gelcoat. it has #3 drives installed (new rebuilt) and turbo 400 3 speed transmissions (new from B&M) all motor mounts, trans mounts , drive shafts and couplings are included. just needs power and interior and gauges and some minor rigging..... also comes with alot of chrome pieces: sea strainers, fittings, controls, etc.....nice trailer too. this would make a BADASS boat. call me if your interested. 606 575 0208 max

WILL TRADE FOR TWIN OUTBOARD BOAT
wish i was in a position to buy this...i absolutely loved the lines of mine too! do you have any pics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.