Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice. >

1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice.

Notices

1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
man i love that boat. im so damn excited to own one i cant stand it! lol

how fast did that thing go?

i am not opposed to running em on jackplates right on the transom.....i just kinda wanted to have a nice swim platform on the back. i spend alot time just floatin around wth a boat full of people drinkin beer.....but then again i guess everybody does. ha

what exactly does setting the motors back accomplish? i assumed it was for beeter ride quality and to fight porposing. (hopping)
Setback allows you to run a shorter motor shaft length due to the water rolling "up" off the bottom. by running a shorter length(or jacking the motors), you have less resistance from the lower units running through the water. 30" is a deep bracket eith a lot of setback, and as Ryan said, 25" motors will be kinda deep. It should run better overall with no bracket, and approx 10" - 12" setback/jackplates. I love the bracket/swimplatform on my v-hull, but not sure how well it would work on a cat.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
the 25" motors will be pretty deep on your cat. A lot of the old Chris Cats and Shadow cats ran gil brackets like you speak of but 30" is a lot.
Ryan,

The bracket is a full platform like on my pantera, not a gil tube type.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Setback allows you to run a shorter motor shaft length due to the water rolling "up" off the bottom. by running a shorter length(or jacking the motors), you have less resistance from the lower units running through the water. 30" is a deep bracket eith a lot of setback, and as Ryan said, 25" motors will be kinda deep. It should run better overall with no bracket, and approx 10" - 12" setback/jackplates. I love the bracket/swimplatform on my v-hull, but not sure how well it would work on a cat.
ok i gotcha. i like the jack plates first because the are smaller and lighter, and they are adjustable. also they wont add near as much overall length to my boat.

but the bracket gives me the swim platform. and the option to add a third motor.........what to do what to do. the cost of each it about the same.

would it be better to run 10-12 inch jackplatees with the 25" shaft or the 30 inch bracket with say a 20" shaft?

and how big of a difference are we talkin here? just a mph or two or a big difference in mph, ride, handling etc.....?

i am willing to go either way.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
ok i gotcha. i like the jack plates first because the are smaller and lighter, and they are adjustable. also they wont add near as much overall length to my boat.

but the bracket gives me the swim platform. and the option to add a third motor.........what to do what to do. the cost of each it about the same.

would it be better to run 10-12 inch jackplatees with the 25" shaft or the 30 inch bracket with say a 20" shaft?

and how big of a difference are we talkin here? just a mph or two or a big difference in mph, ride, handling etc.....?

i am willing to go either way.
I'd be curious to know this answer as well. I just don't remember any Shadows with setback brackets on them.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Registered

Personally I would go with the jackplates(manual is fine, and will save you $$, I prefer CMC plates) on the cat, even if ya went with 20" motors. The advantage of the jack is that it is adjustable for fine tuning. I hear ya on the swim platform, but things can be fabricated to make ya something that will at least get you a ladder mount to get in and out. As far as how much of a difference it will make depends on a few things.............

1 - Setup, if ya get the height wrong with the bracket you are pretty much stuck(my bracket has like 16 half inch bolts holding it thru the transom), other than manually adjusting the motor height using one of 5 holes on the clamp bracket(get out the engine hoist).

2 - Center of Gravity(OK, so that is also part of setup), 30" setback is a LOTTT, especially if you decide on triples(which personally I wouldnt, those 250's can be modified to OVER 300HP reliably by either Simon Marine, or Shaun Torrente).

3 - 25" motors, are gonna be a little tall for that boat, without jackplates, either the bracket will be mounted way high on the transom, or your props will be buried, and you will be forced to run a lower pitch to get ya to the 5400- 5800rpm the 250's make the most power at.

I would say if it is poorly setup, you could be talking up to a 10MPH difference, some of which could be fixed by moving the motors up on the clamps, but then you still have powerheads 30" back on the bracket, and way up high throwing off C.G.??? It is kinda a crapsoot. Since you said you were doing tanks anyway, you could put the tanks further forward along with batteries etc to move your C.G. back forward some, but it is a balancing act. Her eis a video of my Pantera, I realize it is a vee hull, single, and I don't have a lot of experience with cat's, but look at the attitude of this thing running, it is almost too flat, I need my C.G. to move a bit back(and a few more HP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-_4V9zkVgQ
Old 07-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a 28 Eliminator at my job , it had a big swimplatform motor bracket set up , it had at least 30 inches setback, running 2 300X`s , i think 20 inch standard midsections , i thought it was weird because the yellow b bracket was a different shade of yellow than the hull, but it was factory , anyway took a while to plane off but the boat was fast , I know its a totally different style hull, but i thought i would mention it .
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

any thoughts on fuel tank placement on the boat? it had bladders under the floor when set up with the I/O setup. with the outboards being lighter would this change the necessary placement of the tanks/bladdders? and can i switch to tanks or do i have to stay with the bladder setup? heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellp! lmao
Old 07-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why you couldn't run tanks.mill measure the placement of mine but it had twin 76 gal tanks that started approx 2 ft from back of the boat.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Some nice CMC jackplates is what id do
Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely go with the jack plates. You should be able to place tanks in the forward portion of the engine room. You may have to build a floor for them since the stringers were set up for I/O. These are a great hull design, my Chris Cat is the same hull only slightly wider for Big Blocks. Shadows had small blocks.

T2x is the fellow who helped design and build these boats.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.