Boat History - THE REAL THREAD >

Boat History - THE REAL THREAD

Notices

Boat History - THE REAL THREAD

Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boat History - THE REAL THREAD

I love to read threads on the history's of some boat builders, and hulls. I have had the opportunity of visiting Thunderboat row a few times when it was still Thunderboat row. If I only knew now what would have happened I would have taken much more pictures and visited more of the manufacturers. We have a wealth on knowledge from some of the members here that actually designed and worked on some of the boats that spawned most of the new boats we have today. I am asking a favor of you guys. Could we every now and then start a thread of a specific hull or manufacturer and tell us where it came from and maybe some interesting tidbits of them? I am not talking about the usual mainstream ones that we all basically know of (when we get through the old ones we could start on the new ones. I am talking about the Excaliburs, Avance, Seahawk, Aerotek, Signature, Midnight Express, Coyote, Manta, Cobra, Cougar, Chris Cat, Motion, Performer, Mirage...and much more but I am sure that you get my drift....I am not worthy to start such a thread so I will leave it to you guys that were really there.....you know who you are....T2x, MidOcean, Steve1, BROWNIE & and others that the names don't come to mind. We need to get those memories out before you forget! I am younger than you guys and I forget what you have for lunch. It doesn't have to be an epic thread like Steve1's Powerplay thread but some info that will last a lifetime would be great!

Thanks!

POST ON!!!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

You call out Brownie but don't mention Nova Marine?
Old 08-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo rr
I love to read threads on the history's of some boat builders, and hulls. I have had the opportunity of visiting Thunderboat row a few times when it was still Thunderboat row. If I only knew now what would have happened I would have taken much more pictures and visited more of the manufacturers. We have a wealth on knowledge from some of the members here that actually designed and worked on some of the boats that spawned most of the new boats we have today. I am asking a favor of you guys. Could we every now and then start a thread of a specific hull or manufacturer and tell us where it came from and maybe some interesting tidbits of them? I am not talking about the usual mainstream ones that we all basically know of (when we get through the old ones we could start on the new ones. I am talking about the Excaliburs, Avance, Seahawk, Aerotek, Signature, Midnight Express, Coyote, Manta, Cobra, Cougar, Chris Cat, Motion, Performer, Mirage...and much more but I am sure that you get my drift....I am not worthy to start such a thread so I will leave it to you guys that were really there.....you know who you are....T2x, MidOcean, Steve1, BROWNIE & and others that the names don't come to mind. We need to get those memories out before you forget! I am younger than you guys and I forget what you have for lunch. It doesn't have to be an epic thread like Steve1's Powerplay thread but some info that will last a lifetime would be great!

Thanks!

POST ON!!!!!
You can read about the REAL Mirage powerboats here by POPs 57.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...32-mirage.html
Old 08-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of those 32's here. I believe there are only 5 in existence and one's now a botched center console. Here is a thread about the CC boat. http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sa...r-project.html

And here is a pic of the 32 we have here for sale.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506891[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Boat History - THE REAL THREAD-main.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Registered

There is a 32 Mirage also in the British Virgin Islands.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bob Oetringer of Thunder Boats and Design would be another person who has great knowledge of many of the classics. He has rebuilt so many of them hoped he kept picture on some of his rebuilds.

Speaking of classics...understand Tommy Adams had a sign on the side of his building on 188th St. that read "if you like the Magnums you will like a Signature even more"....something to that effect. If someone has that photo that would be great. for posterity. Bud
Old 08-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mr vinyl
Bob Oetringer of Thunder Boats and Design would be another person who has great knowledge of many of the classics. He has rebuilt so many of them hoped he kept picture on some of his rebuilds.

Speaking of classics...understand Tommy Adams had a sign on the side of his building on 188th St. that read "if you like the Magnums you will like a Signature even more"....something to that effect. If someone has that photo that would be great. for posterity. Bud
Bob is a great person to talk with. He's been around the block many times.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

32 mirage Estanilao Cortes what a great boat beautiful lines someone should restore her,you would have something very special not your same old production models.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Registered

Does anyone know about the classic Monza Hulls? There are more than a few of them running around in the caribbean.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbo rr
Does anyone know about the classic Monza Hulls? There are more than a few of them running around in the caribbean.
They were good boats. Elloy Roman started that company. Richie Powers worked there for a while. Paging 7xChamp. I know Elloy bought the Oceanic Molds, tried to use the Oceanic name rights that I owned. I asked him to stop. He was a perfect gentleman, gave me a cigar (I don't smoke, but it smelled pretty good) and shook my hand. That was it. A great old school Miami Cuban boat builder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.