Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302) >

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Notices

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Old 01-21-2003, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audio,

Make a third and let me know what I owe you.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chart here, on Audio's computer

302SR1: Isn't yours an '85 or an '86? There are differences between our boats and Audio's. Let me work with the templets on mine first. The lines on the newer 302's are different, and these templets now are PERFECT for the older 302's. They should have to be modified to look perfect on new 302's, and I won't know just how before returning home. I'll keep y'all posted.

BTW, I thought you were selling your boat. Do you still need any gauges from GregP's 402? Let me know.

Chart
Old 01-21-2003, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Chart
My wife and i meet you wife at the St Louis oso gathering, im sure she told ya we had a great time, on my fountain they use a clear acrylic wind venturi (screen) at the top of the fairing which does a remarkable job of keeping the wind off your face, I live in Chesterfield if you need any help give a shot.
Later
Dave
Old 01-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chart and Jon

Still have the boat, Yea, it's an 86 but I always thought the decks were the same except for the hatches, but if you have two of them there to compare, I guess you would know better. What year is yours? Jon's is an 82, Right?

Yes, I still do have the boat, and I want to do some updates, (Wind Screen Mainly) I guess, though, if someone wanted to buy it, I would sell it.

It's just real hard to rationalize it because it would probably cost nearly triple to replace it.

What do you guys think about me putting the "KAAMA" down the side like they used to do. That's an idea I've been kicking around a little.

As far as the guages go, what ones do you have? I can't remember. The only one I really need is the clock. It just bothers me that it doesn't work. Not that I'd use it. A tach also acts a little funny but it's intermiittant.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This is a picture of what the boat looked like with the window removed.

REAL MEN LIKE BUGS IN THEIR TEETH
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-window-removed-oso.jpg  
Old 01-21-2003, 10:10 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This is the product that we are using for the faring. It is called NIDA CORE. It is a honey comb product that can be purchased in any number of thicknesses and with any number of exterior finishes. We saw it with wood, fiberglass matt, or just the cloth. You can spec out what thickness you want the glass to be for different strengths and so far we have found it a JOY to work with. This is a kind of cross section view of it.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-nida-core-sliver-oso.jpg  
Old 01-21-2003, 10:17 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This is another cross sectional view. One thing to note is that this product will not hold screws so if you need to mount things to what ever you are making you will need to router it out and drop in a piece of wood or high density foam.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-nida-core-side-view-oso.jpg  
Old 01-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This is us putting it through the old stress test and Failure testing. The stuff took 200 pounds loaded on it the WRONG way and did not break. That piece is only about 3" on the narrow end!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-nida-stress-test-oso.jpg  
Old 01-21-2003, 10:25 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

There was a problem with using the NIDA Core at first. The window had a compound curve in it that we were trying to make. We over came this by screwing in 4 pieces of wood to the boat thus allowing us to clamp the fairing in position and attain the correct curve.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-window-clamping-pre-bonding-inside-oso.jpg  
Old 01-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This is the outside showing the bracing, and me being a LUSH
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-window-clamping-pre-bonding-oso.jpg  

Quick Reply: Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.