Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Vinyl...one thing leads to another! >

Vinyl...one thing leads to another!

Notices

Vinyl...one thing leads to another!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl...one thing leads to another!

So I have been having problems with the electric engine hatch ram on my 21' Chris C. I have heard of waterlogged seats/wood causing these things to slow to a crawl...so just for giggles I pulled the lower seat...wet foam and wood, same with the upper swim pad backing. I unstapled the vinyl and found the inner liner fabric of the vinyl is spotted, stained and nasty...though the outside looks ok. My plan is to clean and dry out the foam and cut new wood, not a problem. Is there any way to save the vinyl? its not perfect, but I wasn't planning on a full recover job this season...any thoughts? ----Rob
Old 04-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you unstapled it, you can restaple it. resewing it is impossible though. paint the wood, both sides. wrap foam in heavy plastic before replacing cover.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 04-02-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
if you unstapled it, you can restaple it. Resewing it is impossible though. Paint the wood, both sides. Wrap foam in heavy plastic before replacing cover.
+1
Old 04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't wrap the foam in plastic, IMO it won't let it breathe if it gets damp and might mold. Also don't let the vinyl loose its shape while your doing the work on the wood and foam. try to pack it with something, paper or raggs while their sitting so they don't shrink up. Just my 2 cts.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:30 AM
Registered

I'm about 60% done with a full interior redo. do to old age,water log, and weather cracks.
I mainly do interiors for auto's but am no stranger to doing a boat interior.
1. You unstapled, makesure you have enough fabric without little pin-holes from old-staples
2.milkey spores,mold etc is in the foam....spray with (bleach 75% mix 25% water) but i would just replace the foam!!! hint hint.
3.Never bag foam.."FIREBOATPILOT" 100% right
4.If you cut new wood which i no u will..i always expoy the edges and then use a nice marine paint on the surfaces. then wrap with foam then..in your case reuse your covers.
Best of Luck-
Old 04-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

there are diff schools of thought on bagging the foam. in every case, the foam is waterlogged and wood is coming apart. did the vinyl keep the water out? obviously not. did it let the foam dry and breathe? once again, obviously not. the vinyl slides over a layer of plastic a million times easier than it drags over the foam as you install it. boat manufacturers do not wrap the foam. it will last the warranty. they also don't paint the wood-except where it shows.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the feedback. Decided not to re-use the vinyl, going to have it patterned and the covers done by a pro. Going to tackle the foam and wood myself, which I have done in the past. Picture my engine hatch ( which includes the sun pad and rear bench) as a big fiberglass bathtub that holds the seat inserts. There are a few drain holes underneath, but they were clogged with 15 years of crap. I guess even with the best maintenance, stuff eventually breaks down. To me it's a design thing that looks good on paper, and well, you know the rest..haha. It wasn't hard to pop the seats out...sounds like maybe an every other year thing for cleaning. But then again, I don't usually keep a boat long!---Rob