Push button ignition Question?? >

Push button ignition Question??

Notices

Push button ignition Question??

Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push button ignition Question??

Hey guys Im thinking of adding a push button ignition to my scarab, and I was hoping someone might be able to answer a question.
When installing, can I hook all of my accessory switch lines to a toggle and the start button for my starter. so when I flip the switch it will turn everything on and the start button to turn engine over, and turn it off by flipping the toggle switch off?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Yes.

Ignition is ignition. I would not use a toggle....too much Risk of leaving it on.

For your safety, use all accessory wires to a hidden or not switch by key. If not use key on ignitions and thru a deadman.....very important! If you are incapacitated, ANYONE on board can simply grad the dead man and stop.....

Put your starter on a push-on-momentary and done.

By the way...key can be anywhere....house panel, head, engine bay....
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has aircraft style toggles with start buttons. Obviously my kill switch still works so in the event something happened to me and a passenger couldn't figure out how to flip the toggles to kill the engine they could pull the kill lanyard which will kill both engines.

I like the toggles, and push button. It is also nice not having to worry about losing keys.
Attached Thumbnails Push button ignition Question??-045small.jpg  

Last edited by baywatch; 02-20-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

You can get as creative as you want if you know what your doing electricly wise. If your just looking for a push button starter option you can leave the stock key switch there and take the starter wire off and install it on a push button and done....if you wanted to have a little security built in so people who are not "in the know" you can just install the push button inbetween the standard wiring and you would need to turn the key just like starting normally AND hit the push button to start at the same time.
I once wired a guys S10 blazer through a realy to only start when the driver hit the lock button at the same time as turning the ignition key

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Converted mine this past summer after wrestling with an intermittent ignition switch. So much nicer setup!!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

I converted my last boat, I used a turn switch instead of a toggle because I was afraid of bumping it with my knee. I loved that setup
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Registered

SeaRay uses rocker style switches in there bigger boats with a Key in the electrical panel for security. It's three position switch down off, middle on and top is momentary for start, simple enough to install.