Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
1987 454 stock motor tinkering >

1987 454 stock motor tinkering

Notices

1987 454 stock motor tinkering

Old 05-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oval intake on round ports will still make more power than a stock flat q jet intake on the peanut ports. Enough for 1/2 - 1 mph on the right hull. Even if it didnt perform better its worth the $250 for looks.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
ok, the intake will bolt on. BUT; look at the size runners in the intake. look at the size of the ports. there is a great big ledge that your fuel-air mixture will hit and swirl around and disturb the airflow. acts like a speed brake on an airplane. unless you found a peanut head performer intake, which I don't know exists or not. buy a set of 781s or 049s or rect ports or better yet alum oval heads. alum will handle more compression with the same fuel and come with smaller chambers to give that higher comp without replacing pistons. and you are also taking weight outta the back of the boat. but oval intake on round ports will make you an unhappy camper.
Its a oval port intake.... larger port's yes but i do have a acquaintance who will port match for a smoother transition dinner and a few drinks and some good company is the cost....from what i have been able to deduce this would be superior the a weiand street warrior...perhaps i am wrong.

http://www.holley.com/HolleyNews/Str...rt%20Heads.asp

Last edited by Pliant; 05-18-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

port matching with round port heads is TOO MUCH grinding. buy a 250 dollar set of ovals.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

I know a guy with a Baja, dunno what size or year, and he didn't winterize properly. He ended up cracking the block. He asked me to find him a new block, but wanted other things too. I asked for his casting numbers so I knew what I was looking for. The heads and intake cross referenced to a 70 Chevelle 454 LS6 intake and rectangualr port heads.....but they were on a Merc!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

that's what square port high perf chebby engines basically are!! diff cam and comp ratio, but...