Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
Donzi 22 Classic in boat wakes >

Donzi 22 Classic in boat wakes

Notices

Donzi 22 Classic in boat wakes

Old 06-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Props can make a big difference on this boat. There are a couple DONZI websites that discuss individual props. I would also consider a full hydraulic steering system.At your speeds some would say it may not be necessary. If you want to run hard in rough conditions, I would want it and it should make it handle much better. At a minimum, make certain there is no play in the gimbal or steering system. A small amount of play can have dramatic effects.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Try setting the drive neutral and making the adjustments with the tabs. I was taught to do that and it made a sizeable difference. Setup helps, what kind of steering and tabs? The B1 shouldnt be a bad prop for the hull, though I dont know about the pitch.
The boat has the steering system that came standard with the boat.,As far as the tabs go, not sure what brand, but they are approx 8-10" long, open on the back, and a 90 degree up angle on the sides.....Nothing fancy.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Loved my 22 (1987 502. xr) for the look but as described its a drivers boat..

In my quest for top mph... I Tried 4 blade bravos but always went back to 3 blade to reduce the bite and roll instability with throttling (went from a 26p 4 blade to a 25P non-plus). lost 2 mph but i could let the wife drive it after that.

As far as cruising if the drive is to for down or in and you lift off throttle to fast you can put her in a lean either way that will make quartering wakes seems scary.

Trick is to run smooooooth with throttles in crossing quartering and standard head wakes and limit your choping of the throttle.. so it wont feel as if its going to roll on its side and pitch you out..

Ahhh the best looking boats some times can be the most challenging.. .. Enjoy the learning you will soon forget how difficult the curve was.
Post some pics
Old 06-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Running the tabs all the way down and the drive all the way isn't ideal either; as you risk stuffing the front end of the boat; doing damage and potentially hurting someone.

1) You really need someone to show you how to run a performance style boat. You can't learn that from a forum. Do you have any friends that have these style boats?
2) Consider taking the Tres Martin Course, or perhaps even contracting his partner Brad to come up and spend a day with you on the boat.
http://www.performanceboatschool.com...hp/instructors
3) When it comes to these style and size boats, you can't just point it in the direction you want to go. You really do have to "drive it". Look for the smooth water ahead, and steer the boat to the smooth water. Don't just keep the steering wheel pinned straight.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Or as Clint said, "A man's got to know his (and his boat's) limitations."
Old 06-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

what lake are you on just out of curiosity?
Old 06-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by snave8
The boat has the steering system that came standard with the boat.,As far as the tabs go, not sure what brand, but they are approx 8-10" long, open on the back, and a 90 degree up angle on the sides.....Nothing fancy.
does the drive wobble at all? My boat has some wobble that hopefully I am eliminating going to dual ram full hyrdaulic steering and much better tabs.

are you rocking side to side or nose to tail? this vid is side to side..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PoeXjbdn9I
Old 06-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MonkeySea2
what lake are you on just out of curiosity?
4th Lake, near Old Forge, NY
Old 06-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by snave8
4th Lake, near Old Forge, NY
Very little wobble. If I trim it out too far, it starts to chin walk a bit, but at that point it's already reached top speed and is overtrimmed.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring it down to lake George Maybe we can Johnny saris to get behind the wheel to give your boat the once over

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.