Donzi 22 Classic in boat wakes >

Donzi 22 Classic in boat wakes

Notices

Donzi 22 Classic in boat wakes

Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donzi 22 Classic in boat wakes

Spent the first weekend, on our lake (when it was busy) in my recently purchased 2004 Anniversary Edition 22 Classic. The boat has the 496 Mag (non-HO) with a bravo One (26P) 4 blade prop.(I've been told that's really not the right prop for this boat).
My question concerns operation in boat wake conditions.
First of all, the boat handles great in moderate 1-2 ft wind driven chop, The problem is, my particular lake becomes infested with boat wakes from all directions on the weekend.
The boat runs 65-67 with the current prop, but I'm not able (brave enough) to run it anywhere near that speed in boat wake conditions....The boat gets scary squirrely,and seems downright dangerous. It seems to have the most trouble when hitting a boat wake at approx.a 45 degree angle......Hitting them straight on is much less of a problem.
My solution last weekend was to run it with the drive all the way down as well as the tabs down. In that configuration it handles fine, but limits the top speed to around 58-59 mph.
I've owned boats all my life, including two deep V perfornance boats (albeit both were 24 footers), so I've got a fair amount of experience. Never had a problem running wide open, whenever I felt like it, with either boat. The 22 Classic seems to handle more like a 20' checkmate outboard I had years ago, than a deep V I/O....I'm only talking in boat wakes, of course.
In researching these boats before my purchase, I found nothing that would indicate the instability I'm experiencing in heavy wake conditions, so I'm wondering, am I doing something wrong?? Could the prop I'm using be a contributing factor? Am I expecting too much of this hull?
I took my wife out Saturday, now she won't even ride in in unless I keep it under 50!! not good..
This is a relatively small lake (12 miles long), with very few large hulled boats. Most are in the 16'-21' range, so I'm not talking cruiser wakes here.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mark
Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have to start driving the boat. A lot of wheel movement to keep the bottom of the v straight down in the wake of roller and even short bigger chop. Almost working the wheel as you go up and over to keep the deck level. You can get pretty busy behind the wheel.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:28 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Less * into wakes makes the waves closer together.

A shorter boat won't bridge the waves like a longer one will, thus more falling in between than riding the tops.

Weight and hull design are always factors too.

Need to be quicker with the wheel and trim before you go to hit waves.

I've been on similar sizzed boats (20-22) that handle worse than yours with waves....schit, jet ski's will bounce them around. Closer you get these to 90* to hitting the boat waves, of course is better.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Less * into wakes makes the waves closer together.

A shorter boat won't bridge the waves like a longer one will, thus more falling in between than riding the tops.

Weight and hull design are always factors too.

Need to be quicker with the wheel and trim before you go to hit waves.

I've been on similar sizzed boats (20-22) that handle worse than yours with waves....schit, jet ski's will bounce them around. Closer you get these to 90* to hitting the boat waves, of course is better.

Understood, but difficult to do when your hitting crisscrossing wakes from all directions, as we often get where I'm at.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 208 Posts

A 22' hull with a 7' beam and 24 degree deadrise is a "drivers boat" at high speed. I remember reading a test article on a 22 with a 500efi and the pro driver said it was too much power for that hull. So, what you are experiencing is not unexpected for that boat. I would say slow down, trim down and approach any uneven conditions cautiously. At speed and trimmed out there isn't a lot of hull in the water. I believe the keel actually a bit rounded so that will also make it feel "loose" when running fast.

There are guys with 22's that run flat out with big horsepower, etc. But they have helmets on!

Old 05-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by techman
A 22' hull with a 7' beam and 24 degree deadrise is a "drivers boat" at high speed. I remember reading a test article on a 22 with a 500efi and the pro driver said it was too much power for that hull. So, what you are experiencing is not unexpected for that boat. I would say slow down, trim down and approach any uneven conditions cautiously. At speed and trimmed out there isn't a lot of hull in the water. I believe the keel actually a bit rounded so that will also make it feel "loose" when running fast.

There are guys with 22's that run flat out with big horsepower, etc. But they have helmets on!

Kind of figured that, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Mark
Old 05-31-2016, 07:49 PM
Registered

Cut up closer to the 90 than the 45, but realize the boat is 3600lbs roughly...not a heavy boat, she'll leave the water at every chance she gets. Stay on plane and you should cut across the wave tops, less pounding and a smoother ride.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Try setting the drive neutral and making the adjustments with the tabs. I was taught to do that and it made a sizeable difference. Setup helps, what kind of steering and tabs? The B1 shouldnt be a bad prop for the hull, though I dont know about the pitch.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Drive in neutral trim, then play with your tabs a little. I like that. ^^^^^

Trimming in and dropping tabs isn't the answer. As you proved, it kills the top end and the boat is plowing. Plowing is comfortable with a deep v in the chop but puts unnecessary stress on hull, engine and terrible fuel economy.

Love the Donzi 22, keep going and play around a bit more. Maybe your wife is right, until you're more familiar with the individual quirks of the boat. Get used to hitting the wakes at 50 before you start hitting them at 60.

You've had some good boating experience but no two boats are quite the same and Donzis have an excellent reputation. Get used to your Classic slowly, I'm sure you will be happy.

RR
Old 06-01-2016, 04:39 AM
Registered
Gold Member

I have the similar situation. 21ft superboat with a 509 efi. I run a labbed bravo 28p. It is a handful. I don't know where your trim switch is,but adding it to the wheel is a must. I moved mine from the dash to the wheel. Keeping 2 hands on the wheel while trimming is a big plus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.