Notices

alpha no reverse

Old 08-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alpha no reverse

the boat goes into reverse once to come off the trailer and that is it not another time all day. I have adjusted the cables in all directions and still nothing . Any ideas??? reverse will engage but not with the boat running
Old 08-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Registered

The alpha shift cable gets salt or other corrsion at the end causing it not to engage entirely adn thereby throws the engine cut off. Have the shift cable replaced in the drive. No more problems. No a terrible job is you have basic alpha knowledge.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when the boat is running, does it die when you try to put in reverse? if not, check and make sure the large nut under the prop has not come loose and is letting the reverse gear slide back to far to engage.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Registered

no it just revs, nothing else
Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure the cable from the control is acually moving the transom shift cable in the engine compartment, if not it's a control box, disconnect the transom shift cable and operate it by hand and see if you have reverse manually, this will help isolate the problem.
good luck, keep us informed
Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Registered

tried to move it my hand and nothing happens. im gonna try to move the shift shoe by hand while the boat is still attached to te trailer to see if I can at least make it engage. if it will go then I think it will be the lower cable at least tha ismy thought. if I do change the cable does anyone know how hard this is? I built the motor, installed it, painted the entire boat, and have redone every other thing on it so I will prob. tackle the lower cable. what does every one think?thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered

it's a bit of a pita if that's what it is and it's worthwhile to check gimbalbearing, ujoints, etc... and replace bellows while you've got it all apart. you need a super deep 9/16 socket and alignment tool at a minimum. get a service manual and just follow the directions carefully step by step... and you'll be fine
Old 08-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Registered

any ideas on where to get the tools or manual?