Notices

TRS Fluid aounts?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS Fluid aounts?

I am draining my TRS drives toreplace the fluid. It has the res in the engine compartment. How much fluid should I get? 85 30ft Scarab II
Old 08-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Slightly under 3 quarts or thereabouts. Make sure you fill it from the bottom drain plug until it dribbles out of the vent hole, then top of the reservoir from the inside.

A trick I picked up on IP was to use a bug sprayer to push the fluid in, instead of that stupid gear lube pump. You'll be there all day using the pump, the bug sprayer trick works awesome.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure you let it drain a long time to get it all out of the reservoir.I usually let mine drain overnight. Then I remove the top cover and just dump 3 quarts in.I make sure the level is even with the upper vent hole looking at it on the inside. I spin the prop a few times as it fills.Then the reservoir takes I believe almost another quart. Put the top back on and it's done.No mess. If your doing 2 drives you will need 8 qts.

I know the books may say to pump it in from the bottom but i been doing it this way for 20 years and have never had a problem. I know on a outboard and some other drives you wouldn't want to do this but on a TRS it works fine.If I put 3 quarts in it and it's to the vent hole I know it's fine.Also you can inspect the upper gears while it's open.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Be sure you let it drain a long time to get it all out of the reservoir.I usually let mine drain overnight. Then I remove the top cover and just dump 3 quarts in.I make sure the level is even with the upper vent hole looking at it on the inside. I spin the prop a few times as it fills.Then the reservoir takes I believe almost another quart. Put the top back on and it's done.No mess. If your doing 2 drives you will need 8 qts.

I know the books may say to pump it in from the bottom but i been doing it this way for 20 years and have never had a problem. I know on a outboard and some other drives you wouldn't want to do this but on a TRS it works fine.If I put 3 quarts in it and it's to the vent hole I know it's fine.Also you can inspect the upper gears while it's open.
Thats the way to go!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim

Yeah I like that idea too!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I also keep my level with about a 1/4 on the dipstick, any more then that it pukes from the vent when running hard..
Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Registered

I like the top idea, now to see if I can get a gasket or two before next weeks shootout.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Registered

no gakets there is a big O ring clean it up and put some rtv around the top cap not on o ring