TRS with merctrans engine removal >

TRS with merctrans engine removal

Notices

TRS with merctrans engine removal

Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS with merctrans engine removal

Does anyone know if you can remove te engine without removing the drives or transmission? I just want to remove the engine so that I can rebuild and pit it back without messing with the trans or outdrive.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

I pull my engines and leave the Transmissions in and the drives on. I have Borg Warners, but you should have no problem. Just support the tranny once engine is out.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be done but not worth the hassel. Only takes 15 minutes to pull the drive. Rubber tail stock mount is expanded in the transom plate so you wouldn't want the trans shifting around any while removing the engine. Also you could grease your u-joints and tail stock bearing by removing the drive which is supposed to be done every year.You would spend more time making something to support the trans and trying to keep it in place while separating it from the engine.Borg Warners are bolted to the transom plate,Merc trans aren't. Pull the drive (6 nuts and aft trim cylinder pin) then loosen the 6 nuts on the trans tail stock retainer(loosens the rubber mount ring) then pull engine and trans together.That would be the easiest and correct way to do it.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Borg Warners are bolted to the transom plate,Merc trans aren't.
Thanks, did not know that. Thats why I stated I had BW's. Learn something new everyday.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Registered

Im definatly going to pull the engine and trans together. To take the compression of the rubber mount ring, can i access that through the bellows? do i just losen the nuts on the inside next to the tailstock bearing? I think there are about 5 or 5 nuts on the inside. does anything else need to be removed or losened before engine removal besides the obvious controls, front motor mounts and hoses?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Registered

I don't recommend disconnecting engine from Merctrans, when removing motor--1. you can bend/distort a NLA drive plate in the process 2. you can bend /distort the spring on drive yoke/input shaft,when that happens the spring can jump over the washer/o-ring on trans. output shaft,first time you put into gear it will tear out rear trans. output seal.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olmako20
Im definatly going to pull the engine and trans together. To take the compression of the rubber mount ring, can i access that through the bellows? do i just losen the nuts on the inside next to the tailstock bearing? I think there are about 5 or 5 nuts on the inside. does anything else need to be removed or losened before engine removal besides the obvious controls, front motor mounts and hoses?
Yes you go through the bellows.There are 6 nuts and a grease fitting.That's all you need to do back there.Check that the bearing is good beings you can only replace it by pulling the engine. It's a little easier to grease it while out of the boat,just be sure to tighten the nuts down or grease will come out around the retainer.Before reinstalling be sure to loosen the nuts again and put grease on the rubber ring and in the transom plate hole it goes into. Also don't forget to grease your u-joints