Notices

Skeg replacement

Old 02-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skeg replacement

I have a broken skeg on one of my outdives, It is the second time it broke, I bought the boat after it was repaired once. The second skeg is worn pretty good.
My question is did anyone try the stainless bolt on rather then pulling the drive and having them welded. Is there any down side to the stainless ?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab29
I have a broken skeg on one of my outdives, It is the second time it broke, I bought the boat after it was repaired once. The second skeg is worn pretty good.
My question is did anyone try the stainless bolt on rather then pulling the drive and having them welded. Is there any down side to the stainless ?
I have always had mine welded without removing the drive. Weld small portions at a time and keep the drive cool with a water soaked towel. The guy that has done mine has done hundreds this way in his small weld shop. Usually costs me about $50-$75. The bolt on stuff just seems like it would add drag to the whole system.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the bolt on ones. They can scrub a little bit of speed off though.. Also you must make sure you have an adequate amount of skeg left to mount the fasteners in. If not you will need to either weld a new skeg on again or replace the case.. Also the SS can be a little rougher on the case if you should hit something. If you do it may damage the case even worse requiring more than a skeg..

Hope it helps..

BTW, If you are in the Poconos, you probably are not to far from me at all..

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations