Notices

gear lube

Old 04-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
If you want the NEO oil, let me know. I'm a dealer for the Bravo Shop & I'd love to help you out.
Hell, that offer goes to anyone who is willing to run it.
Would it be worth it for me? I was just going to replace with Merc HiPer. 525's/TRS

Old 04-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just changed my oil, ran it all season last year on same oil, sat all winter, Amsoil SG. No shavings at all on the magnets, oil a touch dark, pretty impressed.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pacalim1965@yaho
I think john calls it " the best f*cking oil he's ever used" ....
Fixed it for ya....
Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BDiggity
Would it be worth it for me? I was just going to replace with Merc HiPer. 525's/TRS

No you're not & yes you should run it.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been breaking complete teeth off of the upper gears. I don't think any type of gear oil will stop that. I am back on my quest to engineer better gear sets that will last longer and not snap teeth clean off.

After I get my gears made, then I would be interested in a better gear oil.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

SMITTY,,,, if you are breaking XR's alot,,, you need to cut out the caged roller bearing that comes with the gear set and replace it with a larger roller bearing(torington) use the same snap ring to hold the bearing in,,,,this will take the rock out of the upper gear set
Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered

Just my 2 cents- I'm your typical bravo guy with way more power than the law allows, in a single engine vee. Until desert storm weekend, I hadn't managed to get more than 2 hours out of any drive I've used on this boat. I tried a new bmax, and the neo oil... John at the bravo shop was adamant that I use this after a 2 hour break in with regular lube. I managed to run the poker run, make 3 solid pulls when the water cleared up a bit, AND drive back to tue marina under it's own power. This has NEVER happened before! I drained the oil and pulled the propshaft to check the lower gears, and all looks perfect after 7 hours of violent punishment in a heavy single engine boat with a ton of power and even more prop. I can't say it's all in the oil, but I've never had a set of lower gears live more than 2 hours in any of my drives. I'll be using the neo oil from now on.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Registered

From an guy running NEO I sold him in a Baja 40 Outlaw with twin 575's and XR's

"Quick update.....wish I would have put a drive temp gauge on but......I don't know if the gear lube lowered the temp or not, I do know that I have put my drives thru hell this past month and they are still together. Ran the Biloxi PR about 130 miles at 4500-5000RPM's . Just changed the lube and it was not burnt or smelled bad....."
Old 05-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jason,
Why dont you fly up here & change my fluids. I dont like to get my hands dirty. Oh & bring your pump too. I dont have one yet.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 47EXCALIBUR
SMITTY,,,, if you are breaking XR's alot,,, you need to cut out the caged roller bearing that comes with the gear set and replace it with a larger roller bearing(torington) use the same snap ring to hold the bearing in,,,,this will take the rock out of the upper gear set
ditto this helps alot and will clean up the teeth loss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.