Notices

gear lube

Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my drive rebuilt by George at all american drive and he recommended his drive oil, which is 80 bucks a gallon...Im not sure what type of oil it is. It was in a unmarked container and is clear with a slight yellow tint..I am using it so hopefully its good stuff!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Registered

I think john calles it snake oil ....
Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It's threads like this where everyone has their own concoction but there is little agreement on what is best that make me stick with Quicksilver lubricants.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

I wouldn't be opposed to trying the NEO brand oil as it looks promising:
http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/
As far as the rest of the oils out there and someone mentioning mixing Amsoil severe gear with lucas oil stabilizer: So far that mix has netted the most positive results in bravo one lower gear life in my own personal testing behind a 1000 + hp/1000+ ft lbs of tq. Aaron and Jason at Max machine worxx get the credit for coming up with that oil mix, they have also done exstensive testing and found this to work very well for them.
As far as 80$ a gallon for the Neo oil, if it kept your gears or bearings from failing it would be WELL worth the price. The guys that are running 500 horse power or less that run stock drive oil without any drama are NOT going to understand why anyone would buy 80$ a gallon oil! I will probably try some myself as i am putting a new set of cryoed/isoe'd/treated gears in my lower unit as soon as they come back from processing , Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 04-09-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It's not the price, it's the lack of a general consensus of what is best. The Quiksilver stuff isn't cheap either at $17 a quart.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
I wouldn't be opposed to trying the NEO brand oil as it looks promising:
http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/
As far as the rest of the oils out there and someone mentioning mixing Amsoil severe gear with lucas oil stabilizer: So far that mix has netted the most positive results in bravo one lower gear life in my own personal testing behind a 1000 + hp/1000+ ft lbs of tq. Aaron and Jason at Max machine worxx get the credit for coming up with that oil mix, they have also done exstensive testing and found this to work very well for them.
As far as 80$ a gallon for the Neo oil, if it kept your gears or bearings from failing it would be WELL worth the price. The guys that are running 500 horse power or less that run stock drive oil without any drama are NOT going to understand why anyone would buy 80$ a gallon oil! I will probably try some myself as i am putting a new set of cryoed/isoe'd/treated gears in my lower unit as soon as they come back from processing , Smitty
My whole reason starting this post was to find out why Teague uses 10 w 40 mcf in his no 6,s he wins alot of races with no drive failure. it must work . I did call him and Adrian dance around the question .07 Dominater explained it best.

Last edited by crayolacrazy; 04-09-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
It's not the price, it's the lack of a general consensus of what is best. The Quiksilver stuff isn't cheap either at $17 a quart.
Your getting hosed for non synthetic oil at that price. Shouldn't be more than 12.00 and thats high.

There is nothing synthetic about Mercury drive lube.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran Amsoil Severe Gear in my drive last year with 500efi's the oil was dark but no metal shavings on magnet. I don't put alot of hours on my boat either though.

Running Bravo X drives.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
My whole reason starting this post was to find out why Teague uses 10 w 40 mcf in his no 6,s he wins alot of races with no drive failure. it must work . I did call him and Adrian dance around the question .07 Dominater explained it best.
He's running #6's with 525's. A mongoloid couldn't tear that package up regardless of what oil was being used.
Bobby, have you had many drive failures? You've got some power in your ride, but I don't recall hearing any carnage stories.
If you want the NEO oil, let me know. I'm a dealer for the Bravo Shop & I'd love to help you out.
Hell, that offer goes to anyone who is willing to run it.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
He's running #6's with 525's. A mongoloid couldn't tear that package up regardless of what oil was being used.
Bobby, have you had many drive failures? You've got some power in your ride, but I don't recall hearing any carnage stories.
If you want the NEO oil, let me know. I'm a dealer for the Bravo Shop & I'd love to help you out.
Hell, that offer goes to anyone who is willing to run it.
Till I learned how to throttle the boat I smashed a few ,four uppers one lower , One upper was with stock power ,the lower hit ground .The six blade Herrings didnt help. Dont get me wrong, Im real careful with the sticks , looking back failures my fault! I change the fliud alot every five weekends or after a high speed weekend .mainly looking for signs of trouble,lubes still good .you do have a good piont about the 525,s no.6,s

Last edited by crayolacrazy; 04-10-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.