TRS trim ram question

Notices

TRS trim ram question

Old 07-25-2011, 11:19 AM
10M
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS trim ram question

Hey guys, I was cleaning the boat on the trailer sunday and found one of my TRS trim rams had pushed the clips (there are like 3 of them total) out the end cap. It looks like the cap corroded and they got forced out. I've never had one of these apart and diagrams are hard to read, what exactly is in there? There is obviously a seal behind these retainer clips because it is not leaking fluid (yet).

So, what is my best couse of action? The end caps are obviously removeable, but what are the chances that an old one would come out? Is there a seal kit/end cap replacement still available? Is it worth trying to replace or should I just try to find a new(used) ram? As always, suggestions are appreciated.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This happend to me too! I just used a small precision screwdriver to clean out all the corrosion and popped them all back in. No problems and no leaks! (was 20 hrs ago or 2mths)
Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10 M, check your PM box
Old 07-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what you are looking at is the scraper rings. The unit will work for a while with out them. I had them come out on mine a while back and I just cut them with a pair of dykes. It is still working fine 3 years later.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:50 AM
sac
Registered

I have a pair of used ones in excellent shape if you need them.
Part #47342A23
[email protected]
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sac
I have a pair of used ones in excellent shape if you need them.
Part #47342A23
[email protected]
He has the new style with the external down side line. Original style like you have dosent have the clips and rings that can come out of the end cap. Their not interchangeable as they use different pumps.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
10M
Registered

Next question: When re-installing one of these, is it necessary to bleed them? I'll be hooking it up in the closed (drive in) position, should I raise it and crack a fitting, crack a fitting while trimming, leave it alone? Never done one or had one apart. Input is appreciated.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 10M
Next question: When re-installing one of these, is it necessary to bleed them? I'll be hooking it up in the closed (drive in) position, should I raise it and crack a fitting, crack a fitting while trimming, leave it alone? Never done one or had one apart. Input is appreciated.
Most likely beings your only doing one you should be able to connect both lines tight. The important part will be to not let the reservoir go dry. It's going to use enough oil out of the reservoir to fill the cylinder. Run up about 1/3 of the way at a time and top off the reservoir each time. When all the way up run it back down and up a few times and it will bleed it self as the fluid passes through the reservoir from up to down sides. When finished be sure reservoir is full.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 AM
10M
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Most likely beings your only doing one you should be able to connect both lines tight. The important part will be to not let the reservoir go dry. It's going to use enough oil out of the reservoir to fill the cylinder. Run up about 1/3 of the way at a time and top off the reservoir each time. When all the way up run it back down and up a few times and it will bleed it self as the fluid passes through the reservoir from up to down sides. When finished be sure reservoir is full.
Ok good that's what I was hoping. Thanks.