X Power Drive .... X-Power Drive ....XPowerdrive >

X Power Drive .... X-Power Drive ....XPowerdrive

Notices

X Power Drive .... X-Power Drive ....XPowerdrive

Old 11-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kaoss
awesome idea ! I will be going with arnesons because of their conversion package.
i don't know this company from adam. And i don't if the arneson conversion is more or less than this.
However i am curious why you would convert something and have to use a transmission vs. Replacing a gimbal ring and bolting a stronger drive on that uses less horsepower? Essential you can lower and raise the drive height and since it is somewhat a surface piercing drive it can throw a rooster tail.
Again just curious and everything i am asking is only what i have read
Old 04-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we are all getting ready to buy 25-30k drive replacements that will never break, I would LOVE to see an Arneson vs. Xpower comparison ( I understand that the xpower is rated for alot more HP) of speed gains, dockability, etc...based on say the "average" guys 700-800HP
I used to think Arnesons were ridiculously priced, but if the Arneson and X power are truly "forever" drives then........maybe?
The ASD conversion is actually looking pretty affordable right now LOL.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that as a complete package the Xpower drive is cheaper when replacing Bravo drives. The Xpower drives are about $35,000 each, they supply a solid stainless gimbal ring to replace the stock one, and then they just bolt on like the Bravo does. Maybe a new tie bar will be needed and fittings for hydraulic steering rams. With the Arneson you also need transmissions, you need to pull your motors to replace the transom assembly with the Bravo conversion kit and transmission, by the time you figure in all that extra work I am not sure the Arneson is cheaper.

The Xpower drive is also a lot shorter than the Arneson. No doubt about the durability of the Arneson but same is true with the Xpower no failures in any of the drives out there, none.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
I think that as a complete package the Xpower drive is cheaper when replacing Bravo drives. The Xpower drives are about $35,000 each, they supply a solid stainless gimbal ring to replace the stock one, and then they just bolt on like the Bravo does. Maybe a new tie bar will be needed and fittings for hydraulic steering rams. With the Arneson you also need transmissions, you need to pull your motors to replace the transom assembly with the Bravo conversion kit and transmission, by the time you figure in all that extra work I am not sure the Arneson is cheaper.

The Xpower drive is also a lot shorter than the Arneson. No doubt about the durability of the Arneson but same is true with the Xpower no failures in any of the drives out there, none.
As reading. $70k vs $49k. and the transmissions are included. If you can get $21k to install a set of arnisons then your really analy ripping someone. $49k is a complete drive assembly but $70k still requires more items which requires more $ and looking at it from a realistic point of view, $70k +transom assemblies + external steering and so on means you will have what $90k in them? SSM#6 are a better value and cheaper!

I've read of failures of thr X powers so you might want to do some more research.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered

Never heard of any failures, where did you read it?

Also you don't need transom assemblies you just need to replace the gimbal rings with the supplied ones not an extra cost part. If you don't already have external steering then you have no need for either of these drives. I think your extra $20000 is closer to $3000. #6 weighs a ton more uses a lot of power and needs a transmission that will require relocating engines so that will add quite bit to the cost. $49k is not a bad price, still going to cost a bit to remove the motors and swap the gimbals and reinstall everything, but for $10-15k more I would rather have Xpower drives.

Besides what do you care you don't even have a boat !
Old 04-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Mercury claims something like 35 hp loss through the #6 and once again less $ than a xpower even when compared to like for like, you know a leg vs a leg (which is what we are really talking about here) the #6 is cheaper.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to Not have transmissions in the mix , makes them more interesting to Me Vs. a arneson or a six
Less things that can break ruining a good weekend & furthermore, no engine pulling.

And I think most people on this site realize that NO part of offshore poweboating is cheap, cost effective or reliable for that matter.
It is.... what it is.........

Great engineering Bill A

Last edited by letterrip; 04-13-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boatlesss
Mercury claims something like 35 hp loss through the #6 and once again less $ than a xpower even when compared to like for like, you know a leg vs a leg (which is what we are really talking about here) the #6 is cheaper.
True a #6 by itself is cheaper drive for drive, but it uses 4-5 times as much HP using your numbers and weighs 2.5 times more, plus the weight of a tranny, and moving the engines if going from a Bravo setup.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why is everyone bagging on this guy who has built a drive that can handle much more horsepower than the bravo with less drag and less horsepower drag.
I don't think he set out to compete against mercury marine or the number 6 drive. I believe he set out to make a bravo style drive upgrade for those of us who want to replace there 525hp's or 575 hp with 1000hp + engines and then you break the bravo a couple times, so now you have an option to purchase this or imco's.
Those of you who think it will be cheaper to completely rerig a bravo boat for #6' drives have no idea what you are talking about unless you can do everything yourself. Fiberglass repaint etc. And you are buying everything used.
I am pretty sure a number 6 drive is longer than a bravo and even if it is not you will have to fiberglass the transom.to fill or partially fill the bravo hole recut the transom and paint transom, raise the engine mounts inside if it is longer than a bravo.
So buying a new # 6 drive transom assembly transmission rear engine mount etc. And rerigging the back the boat i cannot see it possible to be cheaper than putting a new gimbal ring on and bolting another drive on. Not to mention some boats may not have room to add a ft and a half to the engine compartment.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:20 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

I understand that SSM 6 was designed to be capable of large negative trim angles. Combined with its length you can theoretically get on plane still with high x dimensions. I wonder how these compare, and also the arneson for that matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.