Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
scx upper bearing fails ???? >

scx upper bearing fails ????

Notices

scx upper bearing fails ????

Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I can't see them lasting 500 hours, the gears are still soft like an xr and will wear out/pit over time. Maybe 200-250 hrs. Regardless of that a bearing should not fail at less than 30 hours. Many others have had great success with this drive so let's see what they do.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Thats the first time I ever seen the upper gears from a SCX, what did they do just make everything identical to a Bravo but bigger right down to the cone clutches?
The gears are from a mercury NXT transmission
Old 08-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weldcrane
left hand rotation is correct i take it this is not the first as imco is telling me
So you have talked with Imco and they're telling you that it hasn't ever happened before with the SCX? Are they being helpful/supportive? Any chance they will replace it?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nopper marine in Fairhaven Ma has taken the drive all apart cleaned boxed and shipped everthing that is ruined to Imco have been in contact with Dave there this will be a true test of customer support
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Registered

Interesting...
Because I am planning of going to SCX's for my winter upgrade.
Speaking from experience... That You are in the best, most honest hands with Nopper marine.
Hopefully Dave @ imco does his part.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered

+ 1ooooooooo
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weldcrane
Nopper marine in Fairhaven Ma has taken the drive all apart cleaned boxed and shipped everthing that is ruined to Imco have been in contact with Dave there this will be a true test of customer support
I hope they do right by you, seems like this is happening more and more lately............
Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
I have seen two of these at my shop so far this year... sorry to hear...
Do you have anymore info on the 2 you have seen? Pics? What boats they were on?

Did Imco do anything about the problem?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
I can't see them lasting 500 hours, the gears are still soft like an xr and will wear out/pit over time. Maybe 200-250 hrs. Regardless of that a bearing should not fail at less than 30 hours. Many others have had great success with this drive so let's see what they do.
When I owned a Mobile tool business I learned a little bit while Touring the factory.

Impact sockets are actually softer then chrome sockets to absorb the shock, but they are also thicker. If you use chrome on a impact gun it will wear the gun out faster. If the Impact socket was to hard it would shatter. Just like fiberglass in a boat flexes so it does not crack over every wave.

So I do not think its fair to say "the gears are still soft like an xr" in a negative way. There is some engineering that goes into gears that neither of us know enough about.

Should there be a drive that last longer for us high performance boaters, YES. Should fuel be lower, YES. But we the people choose to keep paying so why should anyone change that?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered

Oceanoutlaw.....Pretty sure they are not the same Gears as the NXT transmission.

I have read (but have no proof) that the NXT Transmission uses parts from the Bravo XR but mounted sideways instead of vertical.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 08-16-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.