Bravo I trim indicator pin/trim ram shafts

Notices

Bravo I trim indicator pin/trim ram shafts

Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo I trim indicator pin/trim ram shafts

A few weeks ago after a day on the water i was washing my boat and noticed one of the locknuts holding the trim rams/bushings on was missing. I ordered all new front and rear pins bushings washers and nuts thinking that the nut came off because of worn out bushings. After installing the new hardware i then noticed the trim indicator was broken and the pin was gone. I have two new ones on the way to replace both sides but my question is is this a normal issue or do i have some vibration going on that is causing this. There is no visible cracks or chips and i dont recall hitting anything. I also never felt any type of a vibration. Just seems strange to me because two seperate peices managed to back off their threads without any visual damage to either place other than the plastic indicator being broken and hanging. Boat is powered by a stock 454 magnum so HP should not be an issue and i do not run the boat hard very often. Any and all help/advice is appreciated. Thanks, Hank
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Do you have to remove the outdrive to change the trim indicators? I can't seem to get in to get the wires out with it like it is. is it okay to just use the hinge pins without the indicators for the rest of the season? Do i need to use some blue lock tight on them?

Trying to get this back together today so i would appreciate any help.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

the trim senders (hockey pucks) each have a piece of rubber on the wires. Those two pieces of rubber form a plug when put together and are held on by a small bracket and screw on the transom assembly dehind the helmet. They aren't nesc. per se to run with, you just have to be carefull with your trim. HOWEVER with everything else coming loose on your boat, they do keep the hinge pins from backing out.....
Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by phragle
the trim senders (hockey pucks) each have a piece of rubber on the wires. Those two pieces of rubber form a plug when put together and are held on by a small bracket and screw on the transom assembly dehind the helmet. They aren't nesc. per se to run with, you just have to be carefull with your trim. HOWEVER with everything else coming loose on your boat, they do keep the hinge pins from backing out.....
I saw the pieces you are talking about but how do you get to the place on the transom where they slide together to seal? does the outdrive have to be removed to get to this? If i put them in without the senders i am going to have a small plate made to cover them to keep them from being able to back out. Thank you for you help
Old 07-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

there is a plate that holds them in. you have to at least remove the hinge pins to move the helmet to get to them. Ideally you should do the bellows at the same time. So you pretty much have to take everything apart.