neo oil results w 1000 hp in front of Bravo

Notices

neo oil results w 1000 hp in front of Bravo

Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
I was referring mainly to the ingenuity and testing of treatments as well as the cooler and filter install
The cooler and pump deal is a great idea and only cost about what a set of lower gears and bearings does so well worth it, the idea was implemented by Drew marine and improved upon by dick tryce/mr gadgets, I just followed their advice but never the less does help. I used to change lower gears in less than 15 hours running hard and am seeing 50 pus hours now so I am pretty happy overall, thanks, Smitty
Old 07-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
The cooler and pump deal is a great idea and only cost about what a set of lower gears and bearings does so well worth it, the idea was implemented by Drew marine and improved upon by dick tryce/mr gadgets, I just followed their advice but never the less does help. I used to change lower gears in less than 15 hours running hard and am seeing 50 pus hours now so I am pretty happy overall, thanks, Smitty
Where does one purchase the improved set up? I am seriously considering the drew marine set up.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Kings11
Where does one purchase the improved set up? I am seriously considering the drew marine set up.
I think it is worth saying this isnt a solution to a drive that has a lot of hours or is on its way out.... it wont save you.

First, Talk to Mr Gadgets for fittings that go into the drive.

The rest is available at Summit at your door tomorrow:
-Tilton gear oil pump or a pump like Smitty has pictures of
-AN lines inside
-Polypropylene with stainless braided lines and stainless fittings outside
-Remote oil filter to bolt to the transom inside (Summit)
-Switch on dash

Here is a picture of my setup (the lines dont go into the transom plate, they just happened to be setting there, they actually go to the oil cooler)

I can easily get to my filters by putting one arm down by the exhaust with a filter wrench, then screw a new one on.
Attached Thumbnails neo oil results w 1000 hp in front of Bravo-dscf2729.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Artic (Smitty), I have tried all of the other gear oils and nothing compares to the NEO oil. I have a heavier boat, and 900 ft lbs. I run 25 hrs per season. When I drain it in the fall, it is literally the same color as it went in. And no fuzz on the magnets. We use it in all of our Porsche race cars. That is a real test there. We used it when we won the 24 hrs at Daytona in our Cayman. Car only stops for fuel and tires.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I have about 10,000 each in both my drives and have prob spent 10,000 in parts over past 12 years on the one I am running now fixing it and freshening it.
With all due respect Arneson never crossed your mind? Been around way longer than 5 yrs

Last edited by cheech; 07-24-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
With all due respect Arneson never crossed your mind? Been around way longer than 5 yrs

I know this was asked towards art but I also pondered an arneson drive conversion for the last 2 seasons, this is what I've concluded.

in a single application in the 23-28 foot range there aren't many boats to base the success off of. Rik seems like an insanely knowledgeable guy but i disagree that a surface drive works in every application. In art's application as well as mine our hull design I personally don't feel the arneson would work quite as well as a stern drive. Prop walking/hopping and lack of bow lift would make the boat run flat or perhaps even bow down. You could easily spend thousands in prop tweaking and never quite get the results you're shooting for. Again I'm not knocking the arneson in any way shape or form. A 100 foot rooster tail would be awesome.

Articfriends also has tried an extension box and a shorty both resulting in worse handling and slower speeds.

I think the arneson works best where the boats have natural bow lift as well as rocker built into the hull.

Now since he has started modifying XR drives he could have a SCX and space it down to stock propshaft height. The bigger gears would hold up better I feel. I'm going to save up some pennies and convert to an SCX-4 this winter.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by mickeymcclgn; 07-24-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Spelled riks name wrong.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:55 AM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

Smiity I can't read thru your Anguish of Drives anymore my SON.

Look to thee Heavens and thy Lord may grant you the answers for all thee drives that have Betrayed you.

SMITTY my SON , One word ----- ARNESON
Old 07-25-2014, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah sure, the stellings box then imco -2 shorty never worked so lets spend 2 more seasons re-rigging the boat and re-inventing the wheel trying to make a Arneson work!!! I wouldnt re-rig this boat with one at this point even if someone gave me one!!!! The boat runs high 90's, is fairly stable and goes past the 50 hour mark with gears and bearings these days thanks to the Neo oil so I will stick with that, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 07-25-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Anyone think the Neo Oil might get you an extra season out of an older drive. 350 with alpha drive on heavy boat?

Chris
Old 07-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Anyone think the Neo Oil might get you an extra season out of an older drive. 350 with alpha drive on heavy boat?

Chris
I wouldnt bet money on it, the stuffs not magic, with stock hp or even 500 the stock oil still maintains a lubrication boundary , its when you get into extreme hp where the oil is squeezed out from between the two gear faces that using high dollar stuff, fancy will be a actual help , Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.