Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   neo oil results w 1000 hp in front of Bravo (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/315732-neo-oil-results-w-1000-hp-front-bravo.html)

articfriends 07-22-2014 10:49 PM

neo oil results w 1000 hp in front of Bravo

I have been running the NEO/bravo shop gear oil now for 2 years in my xr based/MAX WORX PARTS UPGRADED bravo one, I also used the custom fittings Mr gadgets uses to plumb a auxillary cooler and remote pump/filter to help filter and cool the oil, running no drive shower. Boat is a 272 Baja with 1000hp/1000ft lb of tq. After 50 hard hours the oil looks like new with no metal, no brinnelling of lower gear teeth yet and upper still looks virgin. This has been by far the best oil I have tried yet and the least amount of metal and damage/wear to this drive. Now, dont get me wrong, this drive has Max worx billet shafts, monster cap, cryo/isoe'd gears and I NEVER run 5 blade props (instantly sheared shafts in past with them), fwiw, Smitty

MILD THUNDER 07-22-2014 10:54 PM

Nice update smitty. Do you record the temp of the fluid?

BUP 07-22-2014 11:01 PM

If I was to send you some gear oil would you test the crap out it ? it is not NEO even thou I know them and their product are very high quality I do not have anything with that amount of hp in it. Actually I have 2 different formulas of gear oil. I also have the drive oil temp senders and temp gauges as well. Will start selling them soon. I am still testing them out.

mike tkach 07-22-2014 11:06 PM

what is the cost on the neo lube and how long do you run it before changing?

MILD THUNDER 07-22-2014 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4158202)

92 bucks a gallon Mike. Sounds like great oil. But for my SSM's, it will cost me 460 bucks to get 5 gallons of it to change the oil in both my drives. If I had a single bravo setup I would run it.

Mike T what oil did you run with the 950's hooked to the XR's in your old cat?

articfriends 07-22-2014 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4158202)

I changed the external filter and added 3/4 of a qt at 25 hours, there was no metal in filter when I cut it open, changed it out at 50 hours and stuff looked like new, was a waste of good oil to change it at this point, I have always changed it between 10-15 hours when I ran Royal purple (worst synthetic I ever tested) and I was changing the amsoil sever gear out at 25 hours (2nd best stuff I ever used). Not sure how long this stuff could go using a external cooler and filter, no temp results, I never took time to add drive temp gauge . No room left anywhere near the dash for anymore gauges!

articfriends 07-22-2014 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by BUP (Post 4158199)
If I was to send you some gear oil would you test the crap out it ? it is not NEO even thou I know them and their product are very high quality I do not have anything with that amount of hp in it. Actually I have 2 different formulas of gear oil. I also have the drive oil temp senders and temp gauges as well. Will start selling them soon. I am still testing them out.

I spent thousands of dollars testing different gear treatments and coatings along with several oils 5-7 years ago. At this point I happy just running the neo with the combo of parts I am running and the great results I am seeing so not looking to try anything new anymore but thanks, Smitty

payuppsucker 07-23-2014 10:25 AM

Hey Smitty, if you don't mind saying how much have you got tied up in your modified drive and how long have you had that HP in front of it?

Keith Atlanta 07-23-2014 10:33 AM

What kind of clearances/backlash are you running on the upper gears (Tight side or Loose side of Merc specs)?

Do you drive the boat like you stole it or like a little girl?

Biggus 07-23-2014 10:49 AM

Interesting. My results (XR Sportmasters) were not that great. Last season I ran NEO in one drive and Mobil Delvac gear lube in the other, when I changed oil @ 35 hrs, the drive running NEO had a significant amount of metal on the magnet. The drive with Delvac had zero debris. Installed my spare drive and refilled both with Delcac, ran another 35 hrs and had zero metal on both magnets.

Not sure if the oils actually make a difference, my thoughts are sometimes you get a decent set of gears that last, others go to schitt pretty quickly.