Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Considering replacing TRSs w/Bravo XRs or Konrads 540 PRSs? >

Considering replacing TRSs w/Bravo XRs or Konrads 540 PRSs?

Notices

Considering replacing TRSs w/Bravo XRs or Konrads 540 PRSs?

Old 06-18-2015, 12:19 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering replacing TRSs w/Bravo XRs or Konrads 540 PRSs?

I have a Cigarette Cafe Racer that currently has TRSs, and I'm doing a big reno on it. Not big power - haven't dynoed them, but probably 450-500 max. I'm just a mild, 49 yr old guy wanting a great 50 MPH cruiser with a 65 top end. Not going to pound her hard. It is in the budget and I'm strongly considering changing the TRSs out to Bravo XRs and getting rid of the trannys. Primary purpose is increased reliability, simplicity, serviceability, and enhanced resale value. Don't need to go crazy with Imcos or the likes. Increased speed is not the driving force (although I'm sure the higher XRs plus the absence of the tranny weight will add some MPHs). Engines/trannys are now out of the boat, transom is stripped. The transom is rotted and being replaced, so recutting the trans assembly holes and changing the X dimension at this point, is not a huge deal. Moving the engines back a few inches is also very doable.

I keep reading so many different opinions on the XRs. Some say they're inherently weak, others seem to really like them. With this relatively little HP, I don't know that it would matter. Considered going with Konrads (about the same overall conversion price), but then I still have the BW trannys to maintain and drain HP & speed. Does anyone have experience with converting to either XRs or Konrads on a Cafe Racer (or similar size/weight boat - 35', 11K lbs fueled)? If so, were you happy with the end result? Problems, issues? Input would be appreciated.

Last edited by OTSrange; 06-18-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You'll probably get more insight in the "cigarette" section here. But, I can say, its gonna take quite a bit more than 450HP per side to hit 75mph in a Cafe.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

i have hawk 525's with trs & can hit 71-72 according to phone gps app. but my 525's have been worked over some with 250 blowers & 1050 dominator.

im also doing a major rehaul & have been trying to decide if i should dump the trs for something else, but also dont want $30k in drives on this thing. interested to see in which direction you go.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I would leave the tranny's in it ( COG ) wont change and recut it for some #3's
Old 06-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Most 420 hp cafe's with TRS drives and transmissions ran around 63-64mph. My cafe with 496HO's (425 hp) and bravo's, with a raised X dimension spec'd by Lip-Ship runs 67-68mph. I may squeek some more out of it running on fumes, but I doubt there is much left. The boat drives like a dream but does blow the props out planing, but nothing bad enough to be annoying. The engine compartment is huge in the boat now and it is a dream to work on. Coming from my 311 Formula I used to dread doing anything under the hatch, on this boat it is actually a great place to hide out. I fantasize about running 75-80 but doing so is going to take big money, big power, and I will probably lose a significant amount of reliability and "turn key" boating.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks Donzi - that's helpful. Guess I overstated my speed expectations (I revised it down to 65), but as top end is not really what I'm after, that's fine with me.

And if I'm going to leave the trannys in, I think Konrads would be the way to go.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:32 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
i have hawk 525's with trs & can hit 71-72 according to phone gps app. but my 525's have been worked over some with 250 blowers & 1050 dominator.

im also doing a major rehaul & have been trying to decide if i should dump the trs for something else, but also dont want $30k in drives on this thing. interested to see in which direction you go.
If you guys are contemplating $30K then an extra 10 would get your speed and then some. Espically over a TRS drive, or TRS copy.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yeah, I won't be spending $30K on them, so Arnes are def out. Great stuff, but way more than I need.

But now after having a lengthy conversation with George at All American Drive, he is strongly suggesting that I go with XZs, not XRs. Said with less than 550 HP, the helical XZ gears will wear and perform better than the straight cut XRs. Of course he'll sell me either, but says that I am not only wasting money on the Rs, but will also get better reliability from the Zs. And he'll warranty them for 2 years. Thoughts?
Old 06-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also agree with George. The XZ gears are easier to get and wear is better with less h.p. My drives are XZ gears with 525sc in front of them. No problems.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks kaama - that's good to know. I've decided to go with XZs and get the HP transom assemblies. Could go with the standard gimbals, but this way, if I sell the boat and anybody wants to up the power ante', they can drop in XR gears and they're good to go.

Soooooo.....with that decision made - anybody want a set of gently used (and just repainted & stickered) TRSs, trans asmblys and 2 BAM Cyborg trannys? Will be lookin to deal!