Speed of a 2002 36 Daytona >

Speed of a 2002 36 Daytona

Notices

Speed of a 2002 36 Daytona

Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed of a 2002 36 Daytona

Guys I am looking to trade up from my 28 Daytona with twin HP 500's. I currently get about 100 -102 out of it & I was looking at a 2002 36 Daytona with the same power Twin HP 500's. The boat I am looking at does have Imco stand off boxes & I do not have them on my 28. I was wondering if any one can give me an accurate top speed with this power ?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Registered

how much do you want for your 28?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stankgilr
how much do you want for your 28?
I have not put a number on it. Do you know my boat? Have you seen it?
It is on my WEBSHOTS page. I put a link below.

http://community.webshots.com/user/NJDAVE66
Old 07-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one I have driven had 500efi's and just touched 104 in some 2 foot chop. I have heard 100 to 105 is the common # with efi's but don't know for sure with 500 carbs.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by NJDave
... I was wondering if any one can give me an accurate top speed with this power ?
What's the seller say the top end is...??
Old 07-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Airpacker
The one I have driven had 500efi's and just touched 104 in some 2 foot chop. I have heard 100 to 105 is the common # with efi's but don't know for sure with 500 carbs.

Pretty solid...that's a bit faster than I would have expected.

My 07 36 coupe has seen 123 mph with Ilmor 625's a bit more horse and 300 lbs ligthter each than big blocks - but total boat weighs right around 9000 lbs wet - not sure wha the '02 weighed).

Even thought I've seen 123 GPS with my own eyes - conditions had to be ideal - I've been seeing mid teens more commonly. Heat/humidity plays a HUUUUGE role on these motors (naturally aspirated) - had a Poker Run last week where it was 93% humidity and we couldn't get her up over 106mph with full fuel and 3 people in the boat.

So...depending upon how much that '02 weighs, 105mph seems impressive to me, possibly a bit optimistic
Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
Pretty solid...that's a bit faster than I would have expected.

My 07 36 coupe has seen 123 mph with Ilmor 625's a bit more horse and 300 lbs ligthter each than big blocks - but total boat weighs right around 9000 lbs wet - not sure wha the '02 weighed).

Even thought I've seen 123 GPS with my own eyes - conditions had to be ideal - I've been seeing mid teens more commonly. Heat/humidity plays a HUUUUGE role on these motors (naturally aspirated) - had a Poker Run last week where it was 93% humidity and we couldn't get her up over 106mph with full fuel and 3 people in the boat.

So...depending upon how much that '02 weighs, 105mph seems impressive to me, possibly a bit optimistic
Junkie,
I would agree with you. My 28 Daytona has HP 500's carbs not EFI's & I can get 100 - 104 in perfect conditions 1-2 foot chop light wind. I would think that a 36 with the same power would be much slower. I don’t know the exact weight of my boat, it is a 1999 tall deck but I would guess it has to be 2000 lbs lighter than the 36. I was also looking at a 2003 30 foot Daytona ICC with twin 525’s with Imco boxes I would think that boat runs 115 & I think I like that boats looks & set up better than the 36. I just think the 36 would ride awesome & could handle any water conditions with ease & that would make the wife a little less scared at high speed. She freaks out when I get the 28 over 90 MPH.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Junkie,
I would agree with you. My 28 Daytona has HP 500's carbs not EFI's & I can get 100 - 104 in perfect conditions 1-2 foot chop light wind. I would think that a 36 with the same power would be much slower. I don’t know the exact weight of my boat, it is a 1999 tall deck but I would guess it has to be 2000 lbs lighter than the 36. I was also looking at a 2003 30 foot Daytona ICC with twin 525’s with Imco boxes I would think that boat runs 115 & I think I like that boats looks & set up better than the 36. I just think the 36 would ride awesome & could handle any water conditions with ease & that would make the wife a little less scared at high speed. She freaks out when I get the 28 over 90 MPH.
OK...now we're getting somewhere.

I can tell you I am diggin' the ride of my 36 waaaaaaay more than I did my 28 -and I was pretty happy with my 28.

Let me give you an example - yesterday I was running from Rochester to Sodus bay on Lake Ontario which gets real snotty - waves from every direction. I was taking 2-3' lake snot on the nose with my wife, kids, mom (who hates speed), and dad in the boat.....cruising at 75 mph - made it to Sodus in about 15 mins

The day before 1-2 foot chop with the same crew in the boat - we were heading to point breeze for a dish of in law macaroni. My parents were on the 36 for the first time and where a little squirelly because the prior year on our way back from the same destination in my 28, a sunsation saw us fly by and chased us down then wanted to out run us - so I got on the sticks and was running low 90's - mom got a little uncomortable and threatened to pull the lanyard if I made her that uncomfortable again (she's 69 and dad's 70). - Well after cruisin along at about 75 for 15 mins and they got comfortable, I pulled the lanyard out of reach from my mom and gassed her up to 105mph just so she could say she went over 100 - then eased her back down - both were very impressed and psyched not uncomfortable at all.

I love the way this hull flies when it packs air - it is truly an awesome sensation.

My recommendation would be to test drive both boats and see which setup you like better for your own personal taste.

I can tell you, I'm very pleased with wear I'm at. The only thing I would change is I'd like a bit more horsepower in my boat as it really starts to fly phenomenal as I get over 110mph.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
OK...now we're getting somewhere.

I can tell you I am diggin' the ride of my 36 waaaaaaay more than I did my 28 -and I was pretty happy with my 28.

Let me give you an example - yesterday I was running from Rochester to Sodus bay on Lake Ontario which gets real snotty - waves from every direction. I was taking 2-3' lake snot on the nose with my wife, kids, mom (who hates speed), and dad in the boat.....cruising at 75 mph - made it to Sodus in about 15 mins

The day before 1-2 foot chop with the same crew in the boat - we were heading to point breeze for a dish of in law macaroni. My parents were on the 36 for the first time and where a little squirelly because the prior year on our way back from the same destination in my 28, a sunsation saw us fly by and chased us down then wanted to out run us - so I got on the sticks and was running low 90's - mom got a little uncomortable and threatened to pull the lanyard if I made her that uncomfortable again (she's 69 and dad's 70). - Well after cruisin along at about 75 for 15 mins and they got comfortable, I pulled the lanyard out of reach from my mom and gassed her up to 105mph just so she could say she went over 100 - then eased her back down - both were very impressed and psyched not uncomfortable at all.

I love the way this hull flies when it packs air - it is truly an awesome sensation.

My recommendation would be to test drive both boats and see which setup you like better for your own personal taste.

I can tell you, I'm very pleased with wear I'm at. The only thing I would change is I'd like a bit more horsepower in my boat as it really starts to fly phenomenal as I get over 110mph.

Good luck.
Junkie,
Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to ride in both to see what I like better. I can say I am leaning towards to 30 because I think the 36 is just too big & bulky & would need big power to run over 100. What do you think the true top speed of the 36 with the 500's is? I know the 30 with 525's is at least 110 & most likely the acceleration in that boat is awesome.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Junkie,
Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to ride in both to see what I like better. I can say I am leaning towards to 30 because I think the 36 is just too big & bulky & would need big power to run over 100. What do you think the true top speed of the 36 with the 500's is? I know the 30 with 525's is at least 110 & most likely the acceleration in that boat is awesome.
Upper 80's to mid 90's sound more realistic to me for this set up...but then again, I don't know how heavy the boat is and the details of how it's propped, etc... environmental conditions have a HUUUUUGE effect on these naturally aspirated motors...I saw my boat lose 14 mph with similar payload just because the humidity was 93% one day.

If top speed is your priority, smaller boat with bigger power is the play. If better ride in lake snot is a priority, the bigger boat is probably a better bet.

But, if it were me, I wouldn't make any decisions until I drove both boats. These aren't small investments and everyone's tastes are different. Nothing beats your butt in the seat of your future toy.

Quick Reply: Speed of a 2002 36 Daytona

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.