33 - 36 Daytona Opinions Needed >

33 - 36 Daytona Opinions Needed

Notices

33 - 36 Daytona Opinions Needed

Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33 - 36 Daytona Opinions Needed

I'm looking for my next boat and have been looking at going to a 38 V, but I am considering a 33-36 Cat. Specifically a 33 or 36 Daytona or a 36 Nortech.

We spend the majority of our boating time in the local large lakes, rivers and inter costal but we do spend time offshore in the keys and local bay area's. Of course hitting two or three poker runs throughout the year.

I can get a key feature on the Daytona that I can not get on the Nortech. We have kids that currently enjoy our MCOB configuration and Eliminator can give us that option with a convertible hardtop.

I'm not necessarily looking to run 140, so top speed is not my priority. 110-120 would be plenty (did I just say that?)

Anyway, I am more interested in ride quality, stability, handling, etc. I don't want this to turn into a "who's got the best cat thread", but would like to hear from anyone how has experience with either or both of these rigs and give your honest opinion on the above.

Thanks much I appreciate the opinions,

Jack
Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Boostable
I'm looking for my next boat and have been looking at going to a 38 V, but I am considering a 33-36 Cat. Specifically a 33 or 36 Daytona or a 36 Nortech.

We spend the majority of our boating time in the local large lakes, rivers and inter costal but we do spend time offshore in the keys and local bay area's. Of course hitting two or three poker runs throughout the year.

I can get a key feature on the Daytona that I can not get on the Nortech. We have kids that currently enjoy our MCOB configuration and Eliminator can give us that option with a convertible hardtop.

I'm not necessarily looking to run 140, so top speed is not my priority. 110-120 would be plenty (did I just say that?)

Anyway, I am more interested in ride quality, stability, handling, etc. I don't want this to turn into a "who's got the best cat thread", but would like to hear from anyone how has experience with either or both of these rigs and give your honest opinion on the above.

Thanks much I appreciate the opinions,

Jack
Both are great boats. I happen to own a 2007 36 coupe with 625 Ilmor's and runs right in the wheelhouse you specify. I've seen 124mph gps on it...but depending upon which props I have on it and the conditions and load I am typically in the 110mph to 120 mph. range.

I love the hard top (easily removable) and the set up of the surrounding windshields. The passengers in my coupe can carry on a conversation without raising their voices at all at 115+mph. I had 2 women in the back during a Poker Run up here last summer and the one said she could have done her nails while we were under way (and consistently being in the top 3 to the card stop).

Surprisingly, the above is even true with the hard top off. Because the windshield and side windows are so high, everyone in the cockpit is protected from wind, even at high speeds. We can hear the stereo and carry on a conversation while under way no problem at all!!

I also typically run on lakes and the daytona is a tremendous lake boat (I've run it on Lake Havasu, Lake Ontario, St Lawrence River, Seneca Lake, Sacandaga Lake, etc...)...all fresh water, no salt yet, so I can't give you first hand perspective on offshore running...but Lake Ontario whips up some serious snot weekly. 2'-4' snot is typically on Lake Ontario - it's like an ugly washing machine. This hull stomps that stuff no problem at all....especially if you're flying the boat into the wind...it seems to really pack the air well and you're almost floating over the snot.

In my opinion the only advantage the Nor-Tec would have over the Daytona would be the lack of the center pod (which some may disagree with me. While that pod works great in expediting the packing of air and minimizing (if not getting totally rid of) porpoising, in the bigger lake snot waves which are really unpredictable, it can cause for a bit of a rougher ride (ie. 3'-5' +). I don't find this to be true in traditional swells. It seems to handle swells very similar to those hulls without a pod. So I would anticipate an equally enjoyable ride offshore.

I started my cat career with a 28 daytona and went through the exact same process you did..considering exactly the same alternatives you did. In the end I chose my next cat to be a Daytona for the following reasons:
1. Loved the cockpit protection and the removable hard top
2. The Daytona hull seemed to be slightly faster than a comprably powered 36 SuperCat.
3. I received tremendous personal service from the Eliminator corporation, from sales, to rigging, to operations and all the way up to the president and founder of the company (Bob Leach - after taking delivery, he called me on my cell and made a personal visit to me and the boat while I had it in Lake Havasu,etc..)
4. I receieved tremendous personal service from my Eliminator dealer. McMillan Marine was A+++++ to deal with before, during and after the sale.

My boat is currently not for sale...however, if someone were interested in my boat, I would simply sell my boat and buy another Daytona...except this time might consider some Teague 900's in place of the ilmor's, not because I don't like the ilmor's -they are rock solid and sound really cool...just because I'd like to be first to more of the card stops and not just in the top 3

[ATTACH]33 - 36 Daytona Opinions Needed-coupe-hele-2-ds-08.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 33 - 36 Daytona Opinions Needed-coupe-1k-islands-tower.jpg  
Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Registered

AJ,

Absolutely love your boat, and figured you would chime in on this thread. The 36 Coupe is at the top of my list for the Eliminators and I inquired about the one in KY that someone "I'm sure" just stole.
I would love to see some more detailed pics of your cockpit area, etc. I have spoken to Eliminator and they appear to be willing to accommodate just about all my requests within reason.
I still need to have some conversation with Nortech and see where that takes me.
I'm in no real hurry, but not sure I even want to move away from the V, but time will tell and I need to get some seat time in both in order to make an educated decision.

I'm surprised there has not been any more feedback on this topic from the Daytona guys, would of expected more.

Thanks,
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 PM
skater brother
Platinum Member

i love my old 36
Attached Thumbnails 33 - 36 Daytona Opinions Needed-a05-09-053.jpg  
Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Registered

a coupe is in my future....... future
Old 01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Boostable
AJ,

Absolutely love your boat, and figured you would chime in on this thread. The 36 Coupe is at the top of my list for the Eliminators and I inquired about the one in KY that someone "I'm sure" just stole.
I would love to see some more detailed pics of your cockpit area, etc. I have spoken to Eliminator and they appear to be willing to accommodate just about all my requests within reason.
I still need to have some conversation with Nortech and see where that takes me.
I'm in no real hurry, but not sure I even want to move away from the V, but time will tell and I need to get some seat time in both in order to make an educated decision.

I'm surprised there has not been any more feedback on this topic from the Daytona guys, would of expected more.

Thanks,
Have you had a cat before? It is quite a different sensation to ride in and drive a cat compared to a vee. Tons of fun...I find it much more exhilerating.

Per your request, I am attaching a few more photos. I can pretty much assure you, if you buy a coupe, you'll love it. It would be a good idea to test drive both that is the tell tale.

As someone else pointed out the beam on the Nor-tec is quite a bit wider than the coupe (8' and change). Not sure how much trailering your're planning on, but you're supposed to get a permit when trailering wide loads...I know a few of the nor-tecs got pulled over by the DOT and fined for not having a permit while towing. I haven't had that issue yet (hopefully I didn't just jinx myself) with my coupe since it is so close to the width limits the DOT has.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

33 - 36 Daytona Opinions Needed-coupehelm.jpg
33 - 36 Daytona Opinions Needed-couperear.jpg
33 - 36 Daytona Opinions Needed-coupe.jpg
Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Registered

Love the 33 its the perfect size easy to haul dont need a large truck to pull 3/4 ton works well and is allowed on most lakes. Alot are cut off around 33. Fast hull and can handle the rough water.We have had a flawless year with our boat 139 with stock 700sci and nxt wouldnt trade it for the world. Cons against a v hull smaller cuddy. We boat as much as possible and have had many different size boats v's to cats. 33 fits us the best. If you plan on going out in real heavy water I would go with the nortech. We go to the Keys almost every year. Our old 30 daytona did just fine except on a small craft warning! lol (long story) The 33 runs in the rough flawless. Hope this helps.

Last edited by B BOATER; 01-25-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Registered

THE COUPE IS AN AWESOME BOAT!