Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Excalibur
'82 Excalibur -38:  What I/O engines came with it? >

'82 Excalibur -38: What I/O engines came with it?

Notices

'82 Excalibur -38: What I/O engines came with it?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Keep the pics coming like 38X I too had to have the transom to helm replaced. Sometimes the tanks leak and that can actually rot the stringers so check it out. Love the boat !!!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

The floor goes back in tomorrow. I'll have more pics later this week.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Registered

Hey barnacle any progress on the ole X ? I'm hoping all is good with the floor install . And can't wait to see more pics of the old girl.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 PM
Registered

I repainted the floor with some non skid deck pain that looks real nice. Unfortunately AT&T pushed an auto update which bricked my phone and I lost my pics of the install. One hydraulic hose leading to a stabilizer had ruptured so I caught, cussed, screamed, and used all sorts of other colorful metaphors while I was literally stuffed into the engine compartment upside down removing it from the inboard side of the transom. West marine wanted $185 to make that hose with stainless fittings. Fortunately my dad deals with a hydraulic shop here in town and had the same thing made for $40.00. While I'm at it I'm think it might be worth the effort to replace all those lines anyway.

The guy I bought the boat from rebuilt the back seat so I covered it with resin to help prevent it from rotting again. It's ready to go back in. I also rebuilt the captains seat because I figured after 30 something years it needed to be done. Took about two hours start to finish but it'll be bolted back in Friday. And yes I'll get pics this weekend.

And to satisfy my sense of sarcasm, I had a sticker made that looks like this:

Pilot: Barnacle Bill
Co-pilot: Sailbad the Sinner

And another one that says, "I love global warming and big oil!"

Anyway, more pics are forth coming.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Registered

New floors are in, and yes, I know they are already dirty :P The dirt on the starboard side that is usually covered by the seat has been cleaned off already and the interior goes back in tomorrow morning.

The engine bay lid is covered by another piece with padding so I can let some Hottie McHotterson sprawl out and get a tan back there, too, and I'll get pics of that tomorrow also. Just like with my car interiors, I clean and condition everything of that nature with regular old Pledge in a brown can. It works better than any of those three step cleaners, conditioners, and protectants.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Registered

Looks great !!! Keep it up. The pics are great and I look forward to seeing your progress and pictures I too like pledge for vinyl but I will say that 303 aerospace protectant is amazing on interiors .
Old 07-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus

Don't believe the conspiracy theory that "special engineers" can get out of this world mpg but engine manufactures choose not to, to support the oil industry.....its crap. The AFR needed to support those 650HP carb engines is going to be 30+ gph each assuming it is tuned to the edge. WOT my guess is that tank will need 90-100gph total to keep it alive.

You bought a big boat, stop thinking about fuel mileage.....its a moot point.

I used to think along very similar lines, but I've since come across way too many vintage publications by General Motors and Shell that clearly state otherwise. The book Fuel Economy of the Gasoline Engine by David Blackmore is an awesome read on the subject.

Fact is there are and have been countless engineers that dared to color outside the lines of the 14.7:1 A/F ratio and couldn't believe the remarkable results they were getting. Detonation was very easily elminated.

Originally Posted by 4bus
No way in the world those engines are sipping 13 gph crusing with that load, just not possible.
It took a tremendous amount of effort by Standard Oil in the early part of the 20th century to foster this mindset. Back around 1920, a lot of engineers who grew up and lived on farms were proving at local fairs and farm festivals that it was possible to go a lot further on a tank of fuel than most people thought possible.

In any case, that 38 Excalibur is an awesome ride with a great hull design. Don't be too quick to dismiss the efficiency of those engines.

Bill, any chance you could scan the paperwork regarding the experimental nature of those engines?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Registered

Hope all had a great 4th weekend !!!! Just want to check in and see if barnacle has any new updates for us on the ole X I hope .
Old 07-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JP-8
I used to think along very similar lines, but I've since come across way too many vintage publications by General Motors and Shell that clearly state otherwise. The book Fuel Economy of the Gasoline Engine by David Blackmore is an awesome read on the subject.

Fact is there are and have been countless engineers that dared to color outside the lines of the 14.7:1 A/F ratio and couldn't believe the remarkable results they were getting. Detonation was very easily elminated.

It took a tremendous amount of effort by Standard Oil in the early part of the 20th century to foster this mindset. Back around 1920, a lot of engineers who grew up and lived on farms were proving at local fairs and farm festivals that it was possible to go a lot further on a tank of fuel than most people thought possible.

In any case, that 38 Excalibur is an awesome ride with a great hull design. Don't be too quick to dismiss the efficiency of those engines.

Bill, any chance you could scan the paperwork regarding the experimental nature of those engines?
So marine tuners like Eddie Young, Dustin Whipple, Boost Power Marine, KE, Teague are all in on it as well? They don't tune to 13 gph to support big oil......or they just know it will go boom if it is too lean?

The problem with your theory is simple, today's race in cars is not to support big oil.....it is to get the best gas mileage. If someone could produce a truck with 650hp that got 45 mpg they would simply own the market and be gazillionaires. I'm not buying it.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Registered

Sadly, I had to rip the floors back up do to some fuel delivery issues And thank God I live in Florida or it would be blisteringly hot every time I go to work on it, but that has it's downfalls as there has literally been a thunderstorm happening every time I go to turn a wrench. Sadly, it was still on the trailer this past weekend. I'm taking some time off at the end of this week to hopefully have her in the water by Saturday since the rain gods only seem to wake up on the weekends for me.

I do have the fuel problems fixed (had to drain the tanks again as more stuff clogged the lines) so the floor and deck seating will go back in over the course of tonight and tomorrow night after I get off work. Grrr....the "W" work. Does anybody want to hire an IT guy 3-4 days a week? *lol*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.