Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Bilge paint recommendation >

Bilge paint recommendation

Notices

Bilge paint recommendation

Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1,212 Likes on 583 Posts

This is what I used and what I will be adding the hardener to next time.
http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Spray...atalogId=10053

And they do have marine paints.
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGBrand.asp?bid=13
Old 01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Rookie your bilge looks nice. I am hoping to do mine soon and I think i am going to try the rustoleum. What did you do to prep your bilge? How much did it take? You just used the rustoleum off the shelf from Home Depot? Has water sitting in the bilge affected it any?
Thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 1,212 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboat28
Rookie your bilge looks nice. I am hoping to do mine soon and I think i am going to try the rustoleum.
Thanks
What did you do to prep your bilge?
At work when we move a press which leaks years of hydraulic oil on to the floor we found out the best cleaner to clean the floor for paint is a can of Comet powdered cleanser. $1 at the dollar store. I used Comet, a hand scrub brush and a new round toilet bowl brush to get in to crevices. I scrubbed it for hours rinsing and scrubbing. After drying over night I then used rags and wiped down the bilge 4 to 5 times with isopropyl alcohol (dollar store $2qt) to get the last of the residue off and ready for paint. You will be surprised at how good isopropyl cuts grease. I then painted.
How much did it take?
I think I used 4qts to do the entire bilge, sides, transom and front of bilge. I bought the little 4" foam rollers and couple 4" disposable brushes.
You just used the rustoleum off the shelf from Home Depot?
Yes, the Sunrise red that is in the link $9qt. I read some more on the hardener that was posted earlier and will be using that if I have to do touch up or another bilge.
Has water sitting in the bilge affected it any?
It has held up really well. Water, oil, transmission fluid (blew a tranny line first week I was out) and steering fluid has seemed to not really affected it. I just hose the bilge out when I put my boat back on the trailer.
I also sometimes put some Dawn dish detergent in there with a little water on the way back to the ramp to slosh things around and clean while I am boating.

Jason

Last edited by Rookie; 01-17-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I also use the stuff off the shelf at H/D. I try to buy the Gal cans but if the color is not right I get a couple qts and mix my own.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a rough bilge (like mine, lots of print through and unground glass), its hard to clean all the tiny crevices.. Ill share my cheap trick that works INCREDIBLY well..

Go to the dollar store and buy you about 6 or 7 of these:

The stiffer the bristle, the better..

Then take your sawzall and cut a line in the top of the handle from the front to back. Take some epoxy, fill in the rut you made and take your dullest sawzall blade and bury it in there..

After it dries, load it up with warm water and comet and put it to work.. it WILL get down in all those little divets in the glass. Works great and is super cheap..
Old 01-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Is rustoleum tough enough to be used on a cockpit floor too?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I used it on mine last year and it has held up well. Used a gallon a white and mixed in just a bit of almond to make that perfect fiberglass color.

Last edited by f_inscreenname; 01-20-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Registered

Received 367 Likes on 211 Posts

Will the Interlux or Rustolium option work over epoxy based glass work? I hafta source something for my bilge & cabin.
jr.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 153 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Will the Interlux or Rustolium option work over epoxy based glass work? I hafta source something for my bilge & cabin.
jr.
Jr,

No sure about epoxy, but I intend to use the gloss white Valspa enamel paint on my bilge. It was just done over with Vinylester resin. I have a few extra Valspa enamel hardener 8 oz. cans if you need.........got them at a good price of $14.99 a can.....let me know!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, as with everything....with the right prep.
http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMData...Y+20100520.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.