Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Should I adress blisters or ignore them? >

Should I adress blisters or ignore them?

Notices

Should I adress blisters or ignore them?

Old 11-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
it is a deceptive pic for sure. The white looks thick and blisters relatively deep which makes it look like gel but the gray throws me leading me to think paint
IMO this might be a case of the camera being unable to recognize the true colour of the blister base due to the overwhelming white background , but it does look grey . The thing is , the 'blisters' that have not yet opened up completely sure do look like 'blisters' .. just not the large raised , lesion type often seen on other boat bottoms.
I have seen something almost exactly like this before on boats that have a full glass cockpit , like a centre console might , that were pretty old and maybe had water/debris sitting in them on and off for a long time . The cockpit floor would often get these areas of gelcoat failure that looked exactly the same. But was it true osmotic blistering or just a poor bond between the gelcoat and the first stage of layup ?

In this case I'd say that it's definitely gel that has opened up and failed, not paint .
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what im getting at. I believe it's just a poor bond or something in the area wasn't done properly.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Sea Rays form the mid 90's were prone to delamination issues. But mine is an 89, not to say mine can be the same thing. I will go get some of the material off the hull tomorrow morning.

I'm afraid of what the $$ is going to be to adress this.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it looks like there is more blistered area than area that hasn't blistered. i think this repair is gonna be remove the entire top surface whether paint or gel and barrier coat or gel it complete.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Shane & Dave, I went to the boat and got some material from the blisters. Unfortunately, the picture of the blister material doesn't show well. Do you have a way of examining the material to see if its paint or gel coat, if so, I can send it to you.

While at the boat, I started on the winter clean up and while doing so, I noticed the line / edge in an area of the stripe was slightly off, as maybe it was re-painted at some point and the tape was not totally flush. I don't feel a ridge from tape, but maybe there's no ridge b/c its been clear coated. Than again, maybe what I'm seeing is something from the factory paint job? or maybe the entire boat was re-sprayed below the rub rail?

I also posted some closer pictures of the blisters, and they are a primer color under them and also posted picture of the striping as well as two lousy pictures of the blister material.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

those super close ups do look like gel, kinda looks like you can see some fibers from the mat layer that went in first for print control. That being said the only way to repair is to strip all the gel off and re gel the entire surface. It is a very time consuming labor intensive and potentially costly process.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Since blistering needs to be addressed differently than bad paint, is there a way to inspected blister material under a scope or in a machine to know whether material is paint or gel? I just want to make sure I make every effort to do once, vs twice.

Any guesstmate as to what to expect from a $ perspictave and any recomendations for people or places in the Long Island area?

Originally Posted by glassdave
those super close ups do look like gel, kinda looks like you can see some fibers from the mat layer that went in first for print control. That being said the only way to repair is to strip all the gel off and re gel the entire surface. It is a very time consuming labor intensive and potentially costly process.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Thread: Should I address blisters or ignore them?

This is called "Hull Herpes" it is temporarily treatable with the right medication but it will always be an underlying issue.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:38 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Any guidance on the price range for this repair?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:43 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I'm wondering if the bottom is hit with a D/A and some 320 unless recomend using something different and assuming they all pop, can I just roll barier coat over it? Hoping the barrier is thick enough to fill the pock marks and then bottom paint over the barrier coat. The pock marks are deep but the diamater is very small.

Could this be a viable solution for me or the OP, or am im wishfuly thinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.