Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Should I adress blisters or ignore them? >

Should I adress blisters or ignore them?

Notices

Should I adress blisters or ignore them?

Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question dave. Is it primer or some kind of chalking. To the o.p. can you look close for a hard line to let us know for sure that the bottom has been painted?? Just the way the the pic looks on my cell phone I don't think it is. But staring at a 2 inch screen not helpful. If you can take one of the blister tops off and get a pic as close as you can. Thx. Hopefully it's just like the tritons. Also take a blow gun and point it in the chip and squeeze and see if the thing delaminates.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

it is a deceptive pic for sure. The white looks thick and blisters relatively deep which makes it look like gel but the gray throws me leading me to think paint
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Registered

I agree dave.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Registered

Hey dave is it just me or do you see some green? I wonder if someone used duraglass and didn't knead properly or wipe the paraffin wax now delamination. Or pinhole with the wax or not mixed well. I now see pic that it's on the side and I've only seen on the bottom do this. Wonder if it's an shoddy repair? When I lived in k.c. the Mexicans could build a Ford excursion out of duraglass lol...
Old 11-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I don't see any tape lines or ridges anywhere. However, the entire boat could have been sprayed.below the rub rail and if that was the case, than there would be no tape lines?

Not sure if this helps rule anything out, but two things that stand out to me are.

1- All of the blisters are below the water line.
2- None of them are on the transom?

Shane- Do you want me to take a picture of the underside of the material from a blister? Assuming I can remove one keeping it intact?
When you suggest a blow gun, is that like a heat gun? I can get back to the boat first thing Monday moring, to gather more info and pictures.

Thanks again for helping with this.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Eliminatorshane
Hey dave is it just me or do you see some green? I wonder if someone used duraglass and didn't knead properly or wipe the paraffin wax now delamination. Or pinhole with the wax or not mixed well. I now see pic that it's on the side and I've only seen on the bottom do this. Wonder if it's an shoddy repair? When I lived in k.c. the Mexicans could build a Ford excursion out of duraglass lol...
hmm . . . yeah there are a couple close ups where somethings going on. Tough one to diagnose without actually being there. Because theres no blisters on the transom and none on the stripe (course those may be tape) its still leading me to think its been painted and soaked leading to blisters. But then again you look at some of the real close ups and that sure looks like gel . . . . .

suss, look real close at the edges around where the transom meets the running surface or any other edges. They could be very hard to detect if done properly they will be almost imperceptible.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Registered

Suss can you mail one to me or Dave. If it's gel then you could patch them after you see why it's blistered first. This has me stumped due to being on the side. Also from the pics is there a couple above waterline???
Old 11-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Registered

Sorry just seen all are below waterline
Old 11-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

ok . . . is it just me or does one of these look like a smiley face and the other a frowney face. . . lol . . . . yeah something definitely weird going on there
Attached Thumbnails Should I adress blisters or ignore them?-ozmosis..png  
Old 11-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say mail you one, do you want me to mail the material that comes off the hull or a higher res photo? I can mail either to both of you, that way we can all collaborate on the diagnoses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.