Gelcoat Overspray removal NEED HELP!

Notices

Gelcoat Overspray removal NEED HELP!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I wouldn't touch it until your insurance adjuster looks at it and makes that call. If it gets litigious, you don't want anyone to say you fouled it up by trying to fix it.
+1
Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Presently I'm not going down a legal path . . squeezing water from a stone is not a good way for me to spend more money, lawyers, time away from work and the associated stress . . I did recover most of what I gave the guy for the work he F'd up .. .

We have also found out that it is not gelcoat but Awl Craft, a lower cost version of Awlgrip, and we are working with the manufacturer to find a solution. They have been extremely helpful!
Old 01-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

man that sucks, gel would be easy compared to Awl-anything. Did you get a chance to try a clay bar? It has saved me several times in the past.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-12-2021, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1OLDSALT2B
That sucks !!! I smell a lawsuit...The styrene in the gel is going to burn and melt into any plastic ,like your lexan and guages,,,I would try compounding it off the plastic and using a swirl remover afterwards and don't buff at to high of speed bcs you will burn the plastic...As far as your Imron it isn't really chemically resistant,,,drop a wet rag of denatured alcohol on it and walk away for an hour and it will lift the paint,,,You have a few different options on the paint and gel and trailer,,,you can lacquer or acetone or mek and see if you can wipe it off but you will have to soak the areas to loosen up the over spray and that will eat into the surface of the finish do you will have to go back and compound and buff...If it was me I would try 3m Imperial compound and finish with a wool finishing pad at about 1500 rpm,,,and if that works on the paint and gel you might get lucky and not have to use a swirl remover...I would try finesse 2 on the plastic and either work up or down from there...Trailer you should be able to use the lacquer or acetone or mek but you have to soak it to loosen it up...
If its light gelcoat overspray it will come off with a polish or heavy correction compound
Old 03-13-2021, 02:41 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

I'd bet after 6 years he got it off or gave up by now.
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (03-13-2021)